Insulin

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevin mckenzie

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I have been taken off all medication for my diabestes as its not working for me,going on to insulin in the new year hope this works for me.
Since coming of medication I well loads better,the side effects were not good

I have been taken off all medication for my diabestes as its not working for me,going on to insulin in the new year hope this works for me.
Since coming of medication I well loads better,the side effects were not good
Are you going to be monitoring your blood glucose in the meantime so you can check things don't go seriously awry.
Maybe having some urine test strips for ketones would be a good idea.
Also watching the carbs you are having at the moment.

Are you going to be monitoring your blood glucose in the meantime so you can check things don't go seriously awry.
Maybe having some urine test strips for ketones would be a good idea.
Also watching the carbs you are having at the moment.
Yes doing all the above been struggling with oral thrush and pins and needles in my feet , since coming off meds they seem to be subsiding

Sorry to hear you have had problems with oral meds. It seems odd, dangerous even, to leave you over the festive period when many people consume foods which are not conducive to good diabetes management, without any medication. Was that a personal choice? Are you planning on being quite strict diet wise?
What sort of readings are you seeing when you test your BG and how frequently are you testing? I am guessing they must be quite high if they are offering you insulin.

Sorry to hear you have had problems with oral meds. It seems odd, dangerous even, to leave you over the festive period when many people consume foods which are not conducive to good diabetes management, without any medication. Was that a personal choice? Are you planning on being quite strict diet wise?
What sort of readings are you seeing when you test your BG and how frequently are you testing? I am guessing they must be quite high if they are offering you insulin.
Bg readings between 8_10 after meals, it was decided by diabetic nurse,reading not to bad but fed up with side effects

Levels between 8-10 after meals is not bad at all, so I am really quite surprised they are even contemplating insulin! What are your fasting levels like?

Levels between 8-10 after meals is not bad at all, so I am really quite surprised they are even contemplating insulin! What are your fasting levels like?
They have suggested insulin as can't handle meds as effects IBS since stopping IBS is so much better.
Fasting results between 6_8 In morning,

Hi. Was one of the drugs Metformin and if so was that the standard version? I wonder whether the nurse considered each drug in turn that might be causing the IBS? If you do not have excess weight then the insulin may do the job for you. If you have excess weight and hence some insulin resistance it may not be so effective so do keep an eye on your carb intake in that case.

Hi. Was one of the drugs Metformin and if so was that the standard version? I wonder whether the nurse considered each drug in turn that might be causing the IBS? If you do not have excess weight then the insulin may do the job for you. If you have excess weight and hence some insulin resistance it may not be so effective so do keep an eye on your carb intake in that case.
Was on metformin for 15 years which made IBS worse and my weight in the BMI range so hopefully will work out ok

I have been on metformin for around the same time. I am now having problems which I think could be IBS. ? Trying to book an appointment

I feel for you hope you get it sorted quickly not sure why they keep given them out
For the simple reason that by no means everyone gets any side effects at all from them and they also work within their restricted perimeters. However - there are now quite a number of drugs that are now available to treat Type 2 diabetes from the simple slower release version of Metformin which releases so much more gently into the body can be enough to stop the gastric issues, to much more complex drugs which also work in more complex ways - but in case of discomfort in any case whatever you take - is to tell your GP of the problems you are now having and ask if there's another drug that could help you better.
Still - have you made enough dietary and exercise changes yourself, along the way, rather than simply, automatically relying on drugs to treat it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back