Insulin

Status
Not open for further replies.

TinaP

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I'm new to insulin and been told to get my blood sugar levels down. I've been feeling unwell on just 4 units, very moody, snappy, quick to shout, argue a lot. A friend told me the medication has been making you evil and change of character. I have been thinking I'm not myself and not sleeping properly, not eating properly just out of my happy place for a few weeks since taking the insulin. Can someone enlighten me as American diabetes say you can have horrendous relationship issues and because insulin is a very strong steroid it makes get angry very easily and not a nice person to be around. I'm worried about my mental health and my general health

Insulin isn’t a steroid. Are you stressed about changing to insulin and could stress be causing your change in mood? How are your bg levels?

Hi. So sorry to hear you are struggling emotionally since starting on insulin. Can you tell us which insulin you have and what sort of BG readings you are getting? Low BG can make people irritated or even aggressive and high BG levels can make people emotional but it is down to the Blood Glucose levels and how they impact on the brain I believe rather than the insulin itself. I read through a few of your earlier posts before responding and I am wondering if you are a slow onset Type 1 (LADA) rather than Type 2. Have they done a more recent HbA1c than the 2020 result of 39 in your signature to warrant starting you on insulin as 39 is obviously a really great result.

Hi @TinaP Insulin isn’t a steroid. As @Lucyr says, it could be anxiety and stress that’s making you feel like that. Also, both high and low blood sugar can affect your mood.

What insulin(s) are you taking? You say you’ve not been eating properly - that sounds like anxiety too. There’s a risk of hypos on insulin so if you ever feel peculiar, do test your blood sugar.

I appreciate honesty and yes I'm stressed with so many things at the moment. My blood sugars are high again 10. 1 - 13. 7. I was down to 7.5 - 8.5 two years ago and since Covid life knocked my socks off like many other people. My insulin pen Semglee glARGine... 4 units on an evening not if thats a good time. Never been on it before and haven't taken diabetes medication only Duloxetine for neuropathy and Amitriptyline for about 3 years.. Any help grateful received.. Thanks

Stress can cause high blood sugars, so maybe try to reduce that a little. Things like getting out in the fresh air can help, as can mindfulness techniques. If it’s becoming overwhelming, do speak to your doctor. Sometimes people need a little extra support when things are hard.

Also, if you’re new to insulin, it’s very likely that you’ve been started on a dose lower than you actually need. If so, this will be gradually increased to help lower your sugars. You might find lower sugars help how you’re feeling. I find high sugars make me feel irritable and jumpy.

Hi. As others have said, insulin is a hormone but not a steroid. It has very few if any side effects apart from blood sugar reduction as it enables the body to metabolise Carbs. It certainly in itself doesn't cause the symptoms you are having. Your long-acting insulin can be increased if needed with guidance from your doctor. Often this 'Basal' insulin is taken twice a day but do discuss with the doctor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back