Insulin to carbohydrate issues with my breakfast...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freddie99

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hey folks,

Just a quick question. Most mornings since start on my lovely pump I've been hypo about half eleven. I'm wondering if this is due to my insulin to carbs ratio being too high or if it's a basal issue?

Any ideas?

Tom

Hi Tom,

What time do you eat? What is your level before eating? What do you eat? What is your ratio for breakfast? Are you dual waving? What are your days basals? Sorry for all the questions, but its hard to give an answer without all the information.🙂Bev

I know you were on levimer and I dont know much about levimer, but I can only offer you what happened to me on Lantus....

I was also lower in the morning that I ever had been before because I wasnt used to a consistant background insulin all the time. Doe to taking lantus one a day there was a dip for about 4 hours where it would trail off and I would inject and need to give it time to bump up again and start acting as a proper background. Also I wasnt dealing with absorbancy issues- sometimes I wouldnt get the whole of my lantus, drops would come out, or I would increase the absorbancy through exercise etc.....with pumping you have a completely consistant background insulin, therefore you may need to readress your mealtime ratios. I can also snack easier without a bolus.

Have you got "Pumping Insulin" by John Walsh? Its mind-boggling, but the tips you will pick up are second to none. Its on amazon.

(BTW- Im not porfessing the above is the answer to your question, just what I think it could be!)

I'm eating breakfast at about eight in the morning. I seem to be able to sleep for England at the moment. I don't dual wave or extended bolus for breakfast. Just a bog standard bolus of five units every morning as I eat the same thing every morning. My basals are one unit an hour across the board.

Hope this helps Bev.

Lou,

I remember that Levemir just ran out after roughly twenty two hours and was erratic. My ratios then were designed to cover the poor basal insulin function or the lack thereof. My ratios have all been put at one unit for every ten grammes of carbohydrate.

Tom

The simple solution is to skip breakfast. IE, Basal test.
If you hypo then you know it's your basal.

Might have to give it a go. Going by what I was taught on MDI if you hypo at or around the same time every day it's something with your insulin to carbs ratio. If they are random it's something to do with the basal. Does that still apply?

Tom

Might have to give it a go. Going by what I was taught on MDI if you hypo at or around the same time every day it's something with your insulin to carbs ratio. If they are random it's something to do with the basal. Does that still apply?

Tom

Are you saying that you have not done any basal testing since you have started to pump? If so I am shocked.
No 1 rule with a pump is sort your basal. If that's not right then nothing is.
No 2 rules is sort carb ratio. Don't be suprised if you have a dif rate for each meal.
This also applies to the correction factor.
How to basal test.
http://www.diatribe.us/issues/13/learning-curve.php

Now if your basal and carb ratios are correct, then consider the timing of your bolus. If you bolus 15 mins before you eat then perhaps think about just before or even after you have finished. or split the bolus.
Have you purchased the book pumping insulin by John Walsh? It's the pumpers Bible. You will learn more from that than any pump clinic.

Are you saying that you have not done any basal testing since you have started to pump? If so I am shocked.
No 1 rule with a pump is sort your basal. If that's not right then nothing is.
No 2 rules is sort carb ratio. Don't be suprised if you have a dif rate for each meal.
This also applies to the correction factor.
How to basal test.
http://www.diatribe.us/issues/13/learning-curve.php

Now if your basal and carb ratios are correct, then consider the timing of your bolus. If you bolus 15 mins before you eat then perhaps think about just before or even after you have finished. or split the bolus.
Have you purchased the book pumping insulin by John Walsh? It's the pumpers Bible. You will learn more from that than any pump clinic.

Hi Sue,

Tom's been on the pump less than a week, so I'm not surprised he hasn't done any basal tests yet. We were told not to test for the first few days because your lantus/levemir takes a while to clear out your system.

Tom, I think the easiest way to tell if it's bolus or basal is to do a basal test and see if you still drop. I think you're right in that if you're always hypoing the same time after a meal, then it's probably your ratio, but a basal test is probably a good idea just to check.

Hi Sue,

Tom's been on the pump less than a week, so I'm not surprised he hasn't done any basal tests yet. We were told not to test for the first few days because your lantus/levemir takes a while to clear out your system.

Tom, I think the easiest way to tell if it's bolus or basal is to do a basal test and see if you still drop. I think you're right in that if you're always hypoing the same time after a meal, then it's probably your ratio, but a basal test is probably a good idea just to check.

Yes I realize he has been on the pump a week.
I was told to start making adjustments from day 2 unless going hypo.
Levemir should not be in his system after 2 days.

Yes I realize he has been on the pump a week.
I was told to start making adjustments from day 2 unless going hypo.
Levemir should not be in his system after 2 days.

All hospitals and clinics do things differently, and, given the circumstances Tom is in at the moment, perhaps they felt it would be too much for him to handle. We have been on the pump since last August and we have been told to do basal testing when it is convenient or there is an obvious problem. On the other list I am on there are 300 children who attend clinic and we all do things differently on a pump start.🙂Bev

Yep-Randomange, we concur!

I was not allowed to even consider adjusting my basal for the first couple of weeks, everything I did had the same background of 0.8u/hr (I think?! I cant remember!) but definately no basal testing. I was frustrated with my consistant background for the first few weeks, I remember Mand and Bev seemed to have been given more freedom to adjust earlier, but I think it really is a specific clinic way of doing things and I had to follow my DSN advice.

I personally wouldnt basal test, but that is just my thoughts on it.

Tom, as Bev makes reference to, your current situation is unique everyone seems to start slightly differently and with different guidelines. Im sure your insulin needs are probably different to your normal needs given the stress you are under, just dont go doing anything drastic!

Are you pleased with the Medtronic Veo in itself Tom? 🙂

Tom, as Bev makes reference to, your current situation is unique everyone seems to start slightly differently and with different guidelines. Im sure your insulin needs are probably different to your normal needs given the stress you are under, just dont go doing anything drastic!

Are you pleased with the Medtronic Veo in itself Tom? 🙂

Hey Lou,

I'm not going to change anything today. I've got the week on follow up appointment tomorrow with the DSNs and the lovely consultant. I'll let them call the shots.

As for the piece of kit I absolutely adore it. My DSN uses a Roche pump and he says the bolus can be felt as the pump puts them in so quickly. With this I can't even feel them as they go in so slowly. I love it. I Find the menus easy to navigate and generally it's a very easy to use thing. It's given me a focus over the past few days which I've really appreciated, it's helped to take my mind of the situation I have the misfortune I find myself in. The amount of information that can be accessed with ease is incredible. For example I've just learned I have eighty three point four units left in my reservoir at the touch of two buttons. I love it. I wouldn't have wanted any other pump.

Tom

Hello folks,

I saw the DSN today and we've dropped the basal between 10 AM and midday by 0.1 of a unit to 0.9 units per hour. Let's see what happens...

Tom

Hello folks,

I saw the DSN today and we've dropped the basal between 10 AM and midday by 0.1 of a unit to 0.9 units per hour. Let's see what happens...

Tom

good luck with the new regime Tom.I understand nothing about pumps but i you and your DSN know best .

Hey Tom

I don't know much about pumps but just wanted to say I hope that the advice they gave you today works 😉

Hey Tom

I don't know much about pumps but just wanted to say I hope that the advice they gave you today works 😉

Hey Emma,

I've been pumping for a week now but it's quite something. I adore it and I really would reccommend it. I wouldn't go back to what I was on now seeing as it's all so good for me. If you want I will send you an e-mail with the reading material that Medtronic dish out to prospective pumpers. Just PM me with an e-mail address.

Steff,

Thanks for your wishes. Fingers crossed that the changes make a difference.

Tom

Thanks Tom but I'm quite happy with MDI I hate the thought of a pump but thank you for the offer if I ever change my mind i'll probably be asking you for help x

Thanks Tom but I'm quite happy with MDI I hate the thought of a pump but thank you for the offer if I ever change my mind i'll probably be asking you for help x

Not a problem Emma. I recall when I gave a talk to my school mates about two years ago I said that I didn't want one at all... How times and opinions change...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back