Insulin times

Status
Not open for further replies.

Filignano

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I sometimes wake through the night for the toilet. As an example a couple of nights back around 03-30 I checked my Libre 2 and my it was 15mmol, and at 8 when I was 18.5. Can anyone tell me is it safe to take my insulin anytime if I am going high early morning. Type 2 and I had been out for dinner the night before.

It depends on which insulin(s) you use. Can you give us the name of it/them?

@Filignano Humulin M3 is a mixed insulin which contains both slow and fast insulin in one. So no, it’s not suitable to correct a high blood sugar. You should stick to the times you’ve been told to take it, usually morning and evening. If your blood sugar is persistently high, speak to your nurse about adjusting your doses.

If you go out for dinner regularly, then you could look at making lower carb choices to prevent levels going high like that, but as @Inka says, that insulin is a mixed insulin and therefore you can't use it to make a correction in the early hours or between meals. It needs to be taken at routine times in morning before breakfast and before your evening meal.

@Filignano Humulin M3 is a mixed insulin which contains both slow and fast insulin in one. So no, it’s not suitable to correct a high blood sugar. You should stick to the times you’ve been told to take it, usually morning and evening. If your blood sugar is persistently high, speak to your nurse about adjusting your doses.
Reply much appreciated I shall take your advice and talk to the nurse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back