Insulin stuck at Royal Mail!

Status
Not open for further replies.

IamHim

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I’m beyond concerned. Lloyds Direct dispatched my Insulin via post yesterday with 24 hour delivery, I have been waiting in all the day and it’s still at the sorting depot. It’s been there since 12 lunchtime and obviously it won’t come today. As this is a fridge item what do I do? If they try to deliver tomorrow is it best I refuse delivery or what? I have contacted RM and Lloyds but have had no response. Your ideas please thanks

I’m beyond concerned. Lloyds Direct dispatched my Insulin via post yesterday with 24 hour delivery, I have been waiting in all the day and it’s still at the sorting depot. It’s been there since 12 lunchtime and obviously it won’t come today. As this is a fridge item what do I do? If they try to deliver tomorrow is it best I refuse delivery or what? I have contacted RM and Lloyds but have had no response. Your ideas please thanks
It can be out of the fridge for a month. Just put it in the fridge when it comes.

I've had this before, it's why I stopped using Lloyds Direct.
Yes, insulin can be kept out of the fridge, but it only lasts 28 days or so after that, so unless you're going to use all the supply within that time, refuse delivery.
That's what I did when it happened to me. I called my Dr to explain what had happened, they issued a new prescription, and I collected it from my local pharmacy.

If you put it in the fridge as soon as it arrives it will be fine. I get the impression you use quite large doses anyway, so I imagine you will probably go through most of it within the 30 days anyway, but if you put it in the fridge once you get it that sort of stops the clock anyway, so if it was out of the fridge for 2 days, you still have 28 days yo use it when you next take it out. I absolutely hate to see unnecessary waste, so that is certainly what I would do. It isn't like it suddenly goes off, it just may become a bit less effective after the 30 day period.

Yes, insulin can be kept out of the fridge, but it only lasts 28 days or so after that, so unless you're going to use all the supply within that time, refuse delivery.
This is not my understanding.
My insulin pen cartridges go in and out of the fridge every other week when I travel for work as I use a pump but need to take pens for backup when I am away overnight.
From the first time I take them out of the fridge to when I use them (or throw them away) can be more than a few months. I rarely need to use my pens but, following this approach, I have never had an issue doing so when my pump fails.

However, whilst I am happy to use insulin that has been at room temperature or below, I am not sure I would have confidence that the Royal Mail can guarantee they would not accidentally store it next to a radiator or leave it in a van or delivery vehicle on a hot day. I prefer to pick up my insulin form the pharmacist at the bottom of the street. I appreciate I am lucky to to have a pharmacist so close, to be fit enough to visit and able to pop out to do so when working form home. But, in my experience, it is valuable to be friendly with your local pharmacist.

When my repeat script includes insulin we drive to the pharmacy, say we've come to pick up a scrip and say ' but/and there are fridge items' - cos they don't put em in the bag on the collection shelf with the non fridge stuff, and a pharmacist has to check and sign off the insulin there and then. Same with eg anti coag jabs after operations or anything else needing refridge.

The 28 days only counts the time out of the fridge. So if your insulin has been out of the fridge for 3 days on its way to you, put it in the fridge as soon as you get it and then you still have 25 days after you take it out again. In the meantime while it’s actually in the fridge you only have to worry about it not going past the use by date. Presumably you are only taking your insulins out one at a time and it won’t take you that long to use each one?

Having said that though, I think I’d be a bit nervous having insulin delivered by post, you don’t know where they are putting it while it’s waiting to get to you.

I can't say i'd be happy for my insulin to go via post either

Sorry to hear what a hassle you’ve had with your insulin delivery @IamLawrie

I wonder if they send it with some thermal insulation (eg polystyrene) to help protect it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back