Insulin Storage

Status
Not open for further replies.

nikkiwhyte

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hello!

I keep the insulin that I am using in my handbag at all times. The other is kept in the fridge until I need to change cartridge or pen.

Is this ok? I know you're supposed to keep it at room temp.

Thanks! 🙂

hi nikki as far as i know this shouldnt affect you insulin as long as it is within certain temperature ranges. this is indicated on the insulin packets.

I have done this for 10 years - and always OK to date!

I was once told that "If you're comfortable with the temperature, then so is the insulin". I have some in a cabinet and some in the fridge. I think 'room temperature' only really becomes an issue in summer. I certainly never leave any exposed to direct sunlight.

Last edited:
Sounds fine to me, I have mine with me at all times, so long as you're not going to extreme temperatures it shouldn't be a problem. Insulin outside of the fridge should be good for a month.

There's not a lot of difference between the temperature in my room and the temperature in my fridge at the moment!

lol its not that cold!!!!!! quite a balmy -3 round here today hahaha :D

The book says that "cold" insulin (from the fridge) is painful to inject so always let it warm to the room for a couple of hours and if it is stored too warm it may lose efficiency so you won't get what you think you've injected. Nikki, I bed there's a room somewhere the same temperature as your handbag !!

Generally how long do people keep insulin in the fridge for before they chuck it? I think I was told about 6 weeks?

i would usually have mine out of fridge for 1 month but it never lasts that long anyway and in the fridge again it never lasts more than a month lol

i would usually have mine out of fridge for 1 month but it never lasts that long anyway and in the fridge again it never lasts more than a month lol
So 4 weeks in the fridge? I was told 6. 🙂 And same on out of the fridge. Never lasts 4 weeks. 😛

6 weeks in the fridge?!?! It lasts months in the fridge - a couple of years even. They have expiry dates on them.

6 weeks in the fridge?!?! It lasts months in the fridge - a couple of years even. They have expiry dates on them.
So they do. Ta. 🙂 Think the message got crossed and confused there. :D I was definitely told 6 weeks but since the pens don't last that amount when in actual use I don't know what the hell 6 weeks refers to. :confused:

So they do. Ta. 🙂 Think the message got crossed and confused there. :D I was definitely told 6 weeks but since the pens don't last that amount when in actual use I don't know what the hell 6 weeks refers to. :confused:

maybe they think insulin can last 4-6 weeks outside of a fridge and 4 weeks is just to be safe? who knows :D

There is another check on whether insulin is safe to use - not just the recommendation of how long to retain insulin as safe to use, and expiry dates - visual check that insulin has not changed appearance eg colour change or looking granular, even after shaking. I have certainly used insulin that has been out of a fridge for longer than 28 days. Also, it is important to not let insulin freeze, particularly for basal and bimodal insulins, less so for clear short acting insulins.

If worried about how long to keep a cartridge, then write the date you take it out of fridge on the glass with a permanent marker pen (eg used on overhead projector sheets of DVDs).

maybe they think insulin can last 4-6 weeks outside of a fridge and 4 weeks is just to be safe? who knows :D
I certainly don't. Don't think they do either. :D

I've got expired insulin in my fridge that I just haven't thrown out yet, it still works fine as I used some not long ago. Out of fridge I use for 4+ weeks, I don't tend to throw away cartridges until they are finished.

i wouldnt think it was safe to use out of date insulin but i could be wrong. i dont even have mine long enough for it to go out of date lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back