Insulin Stopped Working

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sylkwood

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I have had Type 1 for 39 years now and I have got my HbA1C to 6.5 (In old money), but these last few weeks my insulin does not seem to be working. I am putting in over 120 units of Bolus insulin and 80 units of Basal. Would anyone on here think that my body has gone insulin resistant by the amount of insulin I am having to inject each day. Even at these amounts the lowesr blood sugar reading I get is 8.0,
Please let me know if this happened to you and what you did.
Many Thanks
Carl

First up I would change the cartridges/vials to check the insulin hadn’t degraded and secondly I would check your injection sites to see if you’re having trouble with absorption. If you’ve been ill that may also be a factor. Give your hospital DSN a call and have a chat and see what they say.

First up I would change the cartridges/vials to check the insulin hadn’t degraded and secondly I would check your injection sites to see if you’re having trouble with absorption. If you’ve been ill that may also be a factor. Give your hospital DSN a call and have a chat and see what they say.
Thanks for replying to me. Injection sites are fine and I go around my body each time so it should't be that, Also I am not ill so that is out. I have thought the same about the insulin, it is well in date but I sometimes wonder whether it being in the fridge for so long could possibly damage it. I will order fresh from GP and see if this helps, Thanks

I have had Type 1 for 39 years now and I have got my HbA1C to 6.5 (In old money), but these last few weeks my insulin does not seem to be working. I am putting in over 120 units of Bolus insulin and 80 units of Basal. Would anyone on here think that my body has gone insulin resistant by the amount of insulin I am having to inject each day. Even at these amounts the lowesr blood sugar reading I get is 8.0,
Many Thanks
Carl
Hello,

What basal are you using?

Tresiba, Been on it 2 years after 30 odd years on Insulatard.
I have no experience with Tresiba. But I know my Lantus can loose the plot until I change the cartridge.
From the same box can be a marked improvement the following day.
Yep, I used insulatard in the late 1980s/early 90s?

Word of caution. (Health & safety.) If you have upped your dose recently & get a new batch. Please be careful regarding the potential potency of the new basal. (Even if what you had been using was just a dodgy batch knocked out during “overtime” at Novo Nordisk. Sitting in your fridge.)

Have you checked if your pens are working as well as checking the insulin?

Many Thanks
Carl
Agree with The Bear: definitely contact your hospital diabetes team and discuss it with them!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back