Insulin shot ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

IamHim

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Erm, hello everyone, Ive just tested my blood as am so tired as Ive got the Flu etc, and its in the 20's, Im now wondering how I could work out how to do an adjustment dose of insulin to bring it down ? Has anyone any ideas please?

Thanks

Erm, hello everyone, Ive just tested my blood as am so tired as Ive got the Flu etc, and its in the 20's, Im now wondering how I could work out how to do an adjustment dose of insulin to bring it down ? Has anyone any ideas please?

Thanks

Sorry to hear you’ve been struggling with flu @IamLawrie

Does something like this give you a basis you can use?

Get well soon!

As above. The sick days rules are your bible. Do test for ketones as if they’re present it takes more to shift them. Don’t be afraid to call 111 if you need more help and if you do have ketones and are still in the high 20s after insulin you may need to go to A&E. Try to drink plenty too.

I hope you feel better soon

Hope you’re feeling better soon Lawrie

Thanks all. I don’t understand the readings say my bloods are 22 is that 22mmol? That’s what’s confusing me.

I tried 111 last night and they said to call Dr or Disbetes team but they are closed until Monday

Thanks all. I don’t understand the readings say my bloods are 22 is that 22mmol? That’s what’s confusing me.

I tried 111 last night and they said to call Dr or Disbetes team but they are closed until Monday
If your fingerprick meter is saying 22 then yes that’s mmol and quite high. Do you have any ketone strips? They might be sticks you pee on or a seperate kind of fingerprick test.

On your blood glucose machine the numbers are mmol per litre (usually written as mmol/l). 22 is high for that.

For HbA1c measurements it is mmol/mol which is why the numbers are different and it is 48 or above which gives the diabetes diagnosis

Do you have a way of testing for ketones? And do you know how to calculate correction doses or do you have a copy of the sick day rules?

You need insulin. When you’re that high it may take more insulin to bring you down even without ketones. And yes it will contribute to you feeling poorly.

We can’t advise on doses and we don’t have enough info about you anyway. The good news is that it’s not much higher than yesterday so you should be fine to treat at home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back