Insulin resistant today

Status
Not open for further replies.

MichelleF78

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1.5 LADA
Hi gang.

How often do you have days where you are insulin resistant? Finding it hard today. Not budging much. I take Fiasp and only been on it for 9 days and this if first day it feels like like it’s just not playing ball

If my levels are high, I find Fiasp takes longer to take effect. This can be very frustrating and feel like you are injecting water.
Provided I keep an eye on my level, it is still better than NovoSluggish.

If you have a shortish acting basal (i.e. not Tresiba), it may be an idea to increase your basal.

If my levels are high, I find Fiasp takes longer to take effect. This can be very frustrating and feel like you are injecting water.
Provided I keep an eye on my level, it is still better than NovoSluggish.

If you have a shortish acting basal (i.e. not Tresiba), it may be an idea to increase your basal.
Thanks. Increase your basal during the day? Never had to do this. I am on Levemir

I too change my Levemir on a very regular basis to deal with when I am more active or less. For me it is my evening basal needs which seem to be most sensitive to exercise or activity so I adjust my night time Levemir several times a week to balance my levels. So last night I upped my dose to 3.5 units because I had had quite a sedentary day, which was probably half a unit too much judging by my graph. Tonight I will reduce it down to probably 1 unit because I have been physically active most of the day, or maybe I won't have any Levemir tonight. I will watch my levels towards bedtime and get an idea of what they are doing and make a decision then I have broken up and shifted 2x half tons of horse manure and a brisk walk, interspersed with other activities which are slightly less strenuous like grooming horses. Gradually you get an instinct for what it needs adjusting and by roughly how much. It always surprises me how powerful Levemir is in that you would think a couple of extra units over 18 hours (roughly it's period of activity) wouldn't make a big difference but most of my worst hypos have been caused by just a bit too much Levemir, so you do have to be careful if you are adjusting your Levemir doses. I wasn't confident to make any changes to mine until after I had my DAFNE course, when they gave you a framework for assessing when your basal dose needed changing. Not that I follow that framework now, but it gave me the confidence to start experimenting with it for myself and find what works for me.

I too change my Levemir on a very regular basis to deal with when I am more active or less. For me it is my evening basal needs which seem to be most sensitive to exercise or activity so I adjust my night time Levemir several times a week to balance my levels. So last night I upped my dose to 3.5 units because I had had quite a sedentary day, which was probably half a unit too much judging by my graph. Tonight I will reduce it down to probably 1 unit because I have been physically active most of the day, or maybe I won't have any Levemir tonight. I will watch my levels towards bedtime and get an idea of what they are doing and make a decision then I have broken up and shifted 2x half tons of horse manure and a brisk walk, interspersed with other activities which are slightly less strenuous like grooming horses. Gradually you get an instinct for what it needs adjusting and by roughly how much. It always surprises me how powerful Levemir is in that you would think a couple of extra units over 18 hours (roughly it's period of activity) wouldn't make a big difference but most of my worst hypos have been caused by just a bit too much Levemir, so you do have to be careful if you are adjusting your Levemir doses. I wasn't confident to make any changes to mine until after I had my DAFNE course, when they gave you a framework for assessing when your basal dose needed changing. Not that I follow that framework now, but it gave me the confidence to start experimenting with it for myself and find what works for me.
Hopefully I’ll learn all about basal in July on the DAFNE course. Fiasp has become like NR to me after 9 days. Only dropping me by 1 unit. Does work faster for corrections but find if I’m mid range it isn’t so quick. Was like lightning first 4/5 days. Still rising through the night so trying 1 more unit Levemir. @rebrascora how do you get 3.5 units on Levemir? I can only do full units. Night all

How can I get them @Bruce Stephens
You just need to ask your GP. There shouldn't be any issue (I got a phone appointment with the GP surgery's pharmacist and she sorted it all out in 5 minutes). They don't cost that much, I think (it may even be they work out slightly cheaper if the cartridges are cheaper than the disposable pens). They take the same needles as the disposable pens.

For Levemir (and other Novo Nordisk insulins like Novorapid) the Novopen Echo Plus is the one that offers half units.

Sorry to hear your levels have been messing you about @MichelleF78

Yup, like others have said, when my doses and ratios stop working as expected it’s often an indication for me that my basal needs have changed. And once I tweak my basal a little my ratios and correction factors seem to click back into place (well as much as they ever do!). If my basal needs tweak upwards (or downwards!) repeatedly for a while there does seem to come a point where my ratios need tweaking, but generally basal is my go-to adjustment as the seasons change.

Hope things settle for you soon.

Sorry to hear your levels have been messing you about @MichelleF78

Yup, like others have said, when my doses and ratios stop working as expected it’s often an indication for me that my basal needs have changed. And once I tweak my basal a little my ratios and correction factors seem to click back into place (well as much as they ever do!). If my basal needs tweak upwards (or downwards!) repeatedly for a while there does seem to come a point where my ratios need tweaking, but generally basal is my go-to adjustment as the seasons change.

Hope things settle for you soon.
Thanks Mike seem to be playing ball today. I did up my basal by 1. I’ve really not got a clue about this so I am sure DAFNE will benefit me. Hope you are well

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back