Insulin resistance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cinders

Relationship to Diabetes
At risk of diabetes
Hi all.
I'm at genetic risk of Type 2. I was Pre diabetic by 2017. I turned it around to 'normal' by losing 4 stone and eating a Keto diet. But I now have severe Histamine intolerance to food and so have branched out to Paleo, as there wasnt much to eat on Keto with alot of the foods high in Histamine and causing me reactions.
I've been monitoring my Blood Sugars with a thumb prick and monitor since January this year.
I kind of over did it with fruit and starchy veggies as I'd not had them for so long,but my carbs were still well below 'LOw Carb'. BUT, my BS ,which is 5.3 before a meal and 5.4 afterwards on Keto, went up to 5.8 before a meal and 6.8 2 hrs afterwards . The 6.8 has really alarmed me as I've never measured such a high number.
I know despite the fact that I'm a normal weight and BMI,I have belly fat and therefore,I presume, a degree of Insulin resistance.I cant exercise because I have M.E/CFS and no energy for core strengthening.
Should I be worried about the BS shooting up? I've cut fruit and starchy veggies back out and am just having lots of other veg. I am just worried about the level of sensitivity I seem to have to fruit and starchy veg.

Hi all.
I'm at genetic risk of Type 2. I was Pre diabetic by 2017. I turned it around to 'normal' by losing 4 stone and eating a Keto diet. But I now have severe Histamine intolerance to food and so have branched out to Paleo, as there wasnt much to eat on Keto with alot of the foods high in Histamine and causing me reactions.
I've been monitoring my Blood Sugars with a thumb prick and monitor since January this year.
I kind of over did it with fruit and starchy veggies as I'd not had them for so long,but my carbs were still well below 'LOw Carb'. BUT, my BS ,which is 5.3 before a meal and 5.4 afterwards on Keto, went up to 5.8 before a meal and 6.8 2 hrs afterwards . The 6.8 has really alarmed me as I've never measured such a high number.
I know despite the fact that I'm a normal weight and BMI,I have belly fat and therefore,I presume, a degree of Insulin resistance.I cant exercise because I have M.E/CFS and no energy for core strengthening.
Should I be worried about the BS shooting up? I've cut fruit and starchy veggies back out and am just having lots of other veg. I am just worried about the level of sensitivity I seem to have to fruit and starchy veg.
For somebody who is diabetic then 4-7mmol/l fasting or before meals and no more than 8.5 2 hours after meals is what to aim at. So you are well within those criteria. An increase of only 1mmol/l from meals is brilliant. There is no real difference between 5.3, 5.4, 5.8 as monitors are not that accurate to be concerned about differences after the decimal point.
I have never heard of histamine intolerance, that must be challenging deciding which foods you can /can't have.

I am not a doctor but I do NOT believe 6.8 is insulin resistance.
The target is to be within 2 mmol/l of your starting level two hours after eating.
You are well within that range.

It is great for you to check every so often due to your genetic risk but don’t let it take over your life.

My daughters regularly test their blood sugar after meals (we get quite bored in our house) my eldest in particular eats very healthy. A couple of days ago she ate salad, mushrooms chicken and coleslaw. She was 6.8 and regularly sees numbers of up to 8 if she ate something a little more carby. In fact I have never tested anyone one yet who hasn’t reached these numbers after a meal.

Hi all.
That's brilliant. Thank you

For somebody who is diabetic then 4-7mmol/l fasting or before meals and no more than 8.5 2 hours after meals is what to aim at. So you are well within those criteria. An increase of only 1mmol/l from meals is brilliant. There is no real difference between 5.3, 5.4, 5.8 as monitors are not that accurate to be concerned about differences after the decimal point.
I have never heard of histamine intolerance, that must be challenging deciding which foods you can /can't have.

That's put my mind at ease. Thanks. I can stop obsessing over it and enjoy some starchy veg.

I'd never heard of Histamine intolerances to foods until I was told about it. It's an absolute pain eliminating what you can and can't eat, plus alot of trial and error

My daughters regularly test their blood sugar after meals (we get quite bored in our house) my eldest in particular eats very healthy. A couple of days ago she ate salad, mushrooms chicken and coleslaw. She was 6.8 and regularly sees numbers of up to 8 if she ate something a little more carby. In fact I have never tested anyone one yet who hasn’t reached these numbers after a meal.
Thanks so much. I can carry on with my Paleo diet and have starchy veg and a bit of fruit without worrying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back