Insulin Resistance in Type 1 diabetes

Status
Not open for further replies.

pawprint91

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Pronouns
She/Her
Can Type 1s become insulin resistant? I was reading in the news about the increase in Type 2 and it got me thinking about this - what happens if T1 does become insulin resistant - just more insulin or a lower carb diet?

Can Type 1s become insulin resistant? I was reading in the news about the increase in Type 2 and it got me thinking about this - what happens if T1 does become insulin resistant - just more insulin or a lower carb diet?

Don't worry about things that may never be, many of us on here have had type 1 for decades & haven't become insulin resistant.

Don't worry about things that may never be, many of us on here have had type 1 for decades & haven't become insulin resistant.
Thank you for this advice. I am not overweight but don't always think my diet is the best which I think is why I started down that rabbit hole ... think I needed to hear this!

I think of insulin resistance as being a bit of a sliding scale rather than binary ie insulin sensitive or insulin resistant.

There are Type 1s who are very insulin sensitive, some who are moderate(normal if you like) and some who are developing insulin resistance or very insulin resistant. Metformin sometimes gets added into the mix with Type 1s who are insulin resistant.

Exercise is usually a good way to increase your insulin sensitivity/decrease your resistance.

People with Type 1 can become insulin resistant but not all will.
I believe (but don't know whether this is something I read or something I assumed), someone with Type 1 diabetes is equally likely to become insulin resistant as anyone else in the population. Diabetes (of any type) doesn't prohibit you fro getting another medical condition - including another type of diabetes.

Thank you for this advice. I am not overweight but don't always think my diet is the best which I think is why I started down that rabbit hole ... think I needed to hear this!

Obesity is a high driver for type 2.
It was a leading factor in mine, along with lack of exercise.

Are you seeing any sort of insulin resistance, if you're not overweight?

Are you seeing any sort of insulin resistance, if you're not overweight?
Only that I believe is related to hormonal issues - I was more just curious than anything (but yes, sometimes worrying about the future, too! :rofl: )

Insulin resistance has crossed my mind aswell lately.
Does anybody have any experience of using a seperate type of insulin that works a lot faster than the not so novorapid? It's great for when I get my timings right but if I'm ever off and my levels spike it seems to take forever to lower them.

Insulin resistance has crossed my mind aswell lately.
Does anybody have any experience of using a seperate type of insulin that works a lot faster than the not so novorapid? It's great for when I get my timings right but if I'm ever off and my levels spike it seems to take forever to lower them.
Maybe try a new thread for this question @Hooky93 - there was one floating around where people were disputing the merits of Novorapid, Fiasp and I want to say Humalog? I think it was called Fiasp and was on the general messageboard (I don't think Fiasp came out on top for lowering higher levels, though!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back