Insulin requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emmal31

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
My insulin requirements have dramatically changed lately I'm starting to wonder if it's because I've lost a lot of weight recently and so I'm more sensitive to the insulin? What do you think?

Was wondering if any of you have had a dramatic change in your need's and whether you've been able to pin it on anything in particular?

x

University has caused me to need alot of changes. First on MDI I needed huge amounts of Levemir compared to what I used to need. Now on a pump I need less basal. After exercise I need a bit less. Well, I haven't done any exercise for a while now!

Tom

In April last year my insulin requirements changed dramatically. I went from 20 lantus down to 6 at one point, then steadied at around 8 units. My novorapid changed also, but not quite as dramatically, down about 25% overall. Recently, my insulin needs have been increasing - I'm now up to 11 lantus and my novorapid has gone up be 10%.

I'm pretty clear on the reason for all this - my ability to do regular exercise. By April last year I had recovered enough to be back running regularly after a very intermittent, low mileage period since diagnosis. This time, because I hurt my knee 6 weeks ago, my needs have started creeping up again. As I have been abole to do more exercise starting this week, my novorapid has decreased slightly, and I'm hoping to lower the lantus in a few days too.

So, for me, it's all been activity related, plus possibly some dietary changes last year when I was craving fewer sugary treats.

You've been doing a lot of exercise lately Emma - do you think that might be what is changing your requirements?

That's the thing though I'm not doing as much exercise as I was at the start of the diet 9 weeks ago. I was doing about 30 mins on my exercise bike and then going out for a walk each day too, now I get out for a walk at least every other day for 30 minutes but that's about it really :confused:

That's the thing though I'm not doing as much exercise as I was at the start of the diet 9 weeks ago. I was doing about 30 mins on my exercise bike and then going out for a walk each day too, now I get out for a walk at least every other day for 30 minutes but that's about it really :confused:

The effects do last for quite a while though, as it increases your metabolism (and your insulin sensitivity), so even though you're not doing quite so much, you have lost weight and are still maintaining some regular activity. My needs increased again because I hardly moved for a month! 😱

Other than that, it could just be the Diabetes Fairy messing with your mind! 😉

The effects do last for quite a while though, as it increases your metabolism (and your insulin sensitivity), so even though you're not doing quite so much, you have lost weight and are still maintaining some regular activity. My needs increased again because I hardly moved for a month! 😱

Other than that, it could just be the Diabetes Fairy messing with your mind! 😉

:D yeah maybe the naughty diabetes fairy!

that's interesting to know thank you, how is your knee now?

:D yeah maybe the naughty diabetes fairy!

that's interesting to know thank you, how is your knee now?

It's back to normal now, thank you! 🙂

:D
There?s nothing so contrary as the Diabetes Fairy,
She?s as fickle as a cloud up in the sky.
You?d be warned to be quite wary, for her magic can be scary,
And you can?t escape, however hard you try!

There?s one special spell she?ll cast that makes your levels fall so fast
That no jelly baby feast can overcome,
When you think you?ve breathed your last, and your time on Earth is past,
Then she?ll spike you like a bear just bit your bum!

You may think she?ll pass you by if your food is low GI,
But she likes to cause confusion when she can.
Insidious and sly, with no earthly reason why,
She?ll confound the plans of diabetic Man!

You'll usually find she is courteous and kind,
But be careful when she spreads her magic dust ?
It may catch you from behind and play ping pong with your mind,
Just at the point you think you?ve got it sussed!
:D

I'm glad your knee is better 😉 thanks for the poem x

Your body also has been through lots recently what with pregnancy and birth. This may have something to do with it all as it can take time for your body to get back into normal routine. Another question is are you breastfeeding? This dramatically reduces your insulin requirements if so.

I found it took me about 6 months for my body to sort itself out again but then i was breastfeeding for the first 5 months as well.

You are right that when you lose weight you can find your insulin requiremements changing and I am sure this is all part and parcel of the changes with your body.

You're doing great though Emma with your weight loss, no easy task with a baby and everything else to contend with as well....thumbs up :D

Bernie 🙂 xx

Your body also has been through lots recently what with pregnancy and birth. This may have something to do with it all as it can take time for your body to get back into normal routine. Another question is are you breastfeeding? This dramatically reduces your insulin requirements if so.

I found it took me about 6 months for my body to sort itself out again but then i was breastfeeding for the first 5 months as well.

You are right that when you lose weight you can find your insulin requiremements changing and I am sure this is all part and parcel of the changes with your body.

You're doing great though Emma with your weight loss, no easy task with a baby and everything else to contend with as well....thumbs up :D

Bernie 🙂 xx

Awh thank you very much Bernie 🙂

I'm not breastfeeding I did for the first 3 weeks but I had an internal infection after the c-section which stopped the milk. I think it's possibly a mixture of the weight loss and my body still geting back to normal after the pregnancy and birth.

I'm still having hypo's so I think another change in lantus is in order xx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back