Insulin Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dizzydi

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Just wondering if anyone can help.

I recently started on Insulin (Insulatard) and the nurse at the hospital said to only use for 4 weeks. The insturctions that came with the insulin said 6 weeks. I asked the Dr which I should follow and he suggested the instructions that came with it.

However this last week (which is now 5 weeks into my cartridge and nearly finished) my bs have risen to between 6.5 and 7 from 5 to 6.

I have a cold at the moment and am unsure if the higher bs are from that or if I really should only use the insulin cartridge for 4 weeks.

Hi there. I used to use insulatard and if I remember rightly it's the one that is cloudy that you need to shake before injecting? My understanding is that all insulins have a four week life outside of a fridge. I was always told too that you shouldn't use the last bit of insulatard as there wouldn't be enough to mix.

Could be your cold too though?? Try changing it anyway and see if things improve.

Allison

If you're poorly, then I would say the circumstances are not 'normal', so I'd ask for more advice from your nurse. I'd think you'd need to continue with it until your cold is gone as your insulin requirements would be higher and it would help to keep your levels more stable. But I've no experience with Insulatard, so don't know the ins and outs of that particular regime.

As far as I'm aware the advice is usually that insulin is ok for 4 weeks out of the fridge. Worth a chat with your nurse though.

I don't know about Insulatard, but for Lantus which I inject, once it has been taken from the fridge and used for the first time it should be used within 28 days. If it is unused and refrigerated it should be ok until the expiry date.

As far as I'm aware the advice is usually that insulin is ok for 4 weeks out of the fridge. Worth a chat with your nurse though.

Oops! I might have misread - I agree with aymes, I wouldn't use a cartridge beyond 4 weeks out of fridge, not worth the risk it might have gone 'off' and lost its potency. I first thought you meant you were only being put on the insulin for four weeks😱

Thanks guys

I'll start a new cartridge and ensure I switch after 4 weeks now instead of six x

You know, this got me thinking! I use quite a low dose of Lantus and have just worked out that a cartridge lasts me about 30-32 days, so really I should be checking when I start each new cartridge so I can change after 28 days. Thanks for making me think about it!🙂

opps forgot to ask before!

How do you dispose of the cartridges?

Bin or sharpes bin ?

I must admit I thought the six weeks would work out well as not much would have been wasted!! I hate waste 🙂

Assuming cartridges are glass, they can be recycled like other glass containers. Personally, I peel off the plastic labels, but it's probably not needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back