Insulin pumps

Status
Not open for further replies.

rachel.b

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi I've been told that I'm able to have a new pump but unsure which one would be best.
The choices are
Roche accu check Solo
Omnipod dash
What does everyone think?

My thoughts are that’s a very limited choice :confused: I have a pump but it’s not either of those, it’s a Dana RS and it’s great. Why aren’t they able to offer tubed pumps? I think if I was you I’d double-check nothing else was available.

Failing that, I’d watch videos of both pumps on Youtube and use Google to find out as much as possible about them. Make a list of important things for you (that might differ from others requirements) and see how each pump fulfils them. Do Pros and Cons, and cover as many angles as possible.

They've offered me metronic 780g and that's tubed but I've had a tubed pump for a few years now, fancy a change and also my son keeps catching it and pulling it. Tubeless is better for me.

Ah, well in that case do what I suggested and make lists of all the specs for each pump eg size, insulin amount, remotes, apps, etc etc. Read reviews, search out potential issues.

I’d also look at each company and see what you can find out about customer service. That can make a big difference.

I’m trying to remember who has a Dash here, but failing at the moment. Hopefully someone will be along soon 🙂

Edited to add that I think @mark king might, and I believe @Matchless does too, but there are others as well. I’ve not heard much about the Solo yet.

Hi I've been told that I'm able to have a new pump but unsure which one would be best.
The choices are
Roche accu check Solo
Omnipod dash
What does everyone think?
I've had an Omnipod Dash for nearly 18 months and it's the only pump I have used – so no comparisons. It took a while for us to get used to each other and early on it was stressful. But we get along well together now. The self-adhesive pod delivers the insulin through a self-inserting canulla and is controlled by an independent handset based on a mobile phone. The pod needs replacing every 3 days. My system is provided by my diabetes team via my local NHS hospital Trust. I order 90 days supply of pods direct from the manufacturers. Customer support is available by phone 24/7 (no queueing. Calls are answered immediately by a real person.)
Any pods that malfunction or get detached have to be replaced by reporting to Insulet's Customer Service. I used to find this very stressful as I seemed to have frequent problems when I started.

They've offered me metronic 780g and that's tubed but I've had a tubed pump for a few years now, fancy a change and also my son keeps catching it and pulling it. Tubeless is better for me.
I can't comment on the two pumps you have been offered but I can comment on tubed vs tubeless as I have had both. Personally I prefer tubeless but there are downsides
- you have no choice of cannula. If the one that comes direct from the pump doesn't suit you, you can't try one made out of teflon or at a different angle or ....
- a larger area on your skin is attached to the pump. This may sound obvious but you need to consider if you are sensitive to the glue and how many sites you have that are the size of the whole pump rather than move the cannula a couple of inches over.
- the pump is in the same location for 3 days. Once in place you cannot move it if you keep knocking it with your bag or if it is just under the waistband of your favourite jeans that you planned to wear tonight or it is on your arm and someone has suggested a game of squash or if you placed it where you lie: it is there for 3 days.
- it is more expensive to change sets so your CCG may complain if you change the pump too often.
- you cannot temporarily disconnect the pump. I used to do this when I went in the sauna but now a sauna means a set change. I also used to disconnect when I went swimming whereas now my pump is on display in the pool
- I experienced more "obstruction" alerts (sorry, I can't remember the correct name), especially when I apply pressure to the pump. It doesn't like my skinny jeans.

Despite all of that, I much prefer being tubeless but it is not perfect

Good luck with your pump choice @rachel.b

We have had a few members on the forum using the Solo, including @Alf @Harpersmum and @daiseyc - but unfortunately none of them have been visiting the forum recently.

It might be possible for you to get hold of a ‘dummy’ Omnipod so that you can stick it on yourself in a likely site and see how it feels to live with it for 3 days?

I’ve certainly been given one at a diabetes event, and I think you used to be able to order them online from the manufacturer/distributor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back