insulin pumps

Status
Not open for further replies.

annemarie08

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
does anyone know much about pumps?? why do some diabetics have them and some not? i didnt even know they existed, never told about them.:confused:

Last edited:
pump therpy is very expensive the equipment anyway and is not generally approved by n.i.c.e the body who approve drugs on the nhs. used alot in the usa
the pros - very good control can make very tiny adjustments
cons - attached to you 24/7 can get issues with infection at needle site if not careful.

do not know to much myself only a very small number have it in uk due to needle phobia's or unable to get control
have a look on american websites you will see alot more.

andy....

thanks for that andy, dont think i will be going down that route. i hate needles but im getting used to them now, just a fact of life for us diabetics. thaks again.

Hi annemarie

Theres a similar thread further down the board on pumps that goes into the pros and cons. Are you thinking of using one? Are you under the Royal? I got my pump from there and they are brilliant. Have you had diabetes long?

Pumps are unequivocally approved by NICE abeit with a eligability criteria, needle phobia is not a reason to have one! The main reason to use one is poor control and/or hypoglycaemia.

Shout if if you want to know more about pumps-theres a few of us on here that use them or have a look at the insulin pumpers uk website.

two things I don't get about pumps...

one is what if u want to go out to some posh ball or something and wear a small dress?? and errmmm most importantly... not meaning to sound crass or anything but... what about when you want some passionate *ehem*sex*ehem*.

Can you remove it for a while?? but don't you always have the needle part in??

Hi annemarie

Theres a similar thread further down the board on pumps that goes into the pros and cons. Are you thinking of using one? Are you under the Royal? I got my pump from there and they are brilliant. Have you had diabetes long?

Pumps are unequivocally approved by NICE abeit with a eligability criteria, needle phobia is not a reason to have one! The main reason to use one is poor control and/or hypoglycaemia.

Shout if if you want to know more about pumps-theres a few of us on here that use them or have a look at the insulin pumpers uk website.
diagnosed type 2 approx 6yrs ago and put on metformin and left to my own devices, i ended up in whiston in feb with dka and was told i had been mis-diagnosed and had been type1 all the time, hadnt had hypos coz my sugars had been so high. im now on humalog 3 times day and levemir at night. at the moment all control is out of the window, especially with all the goodies in the house with it being xmas soon. was just wondering what pumps were that was all, ok on needles at mo, getting used to it, bloody hurt sometimes tho.

two things I don't get about pumps...

one is what if u want to go out to some posh ball or something and wear a small dress?? and errmmm most importantly... not meaning to sound crass or anything but... what about when you want some passionate *ehem*sex*ehem*.

Can you remove it for a while?? but don't you always have the needle part in??

Hi Katie

Pumps are actually pretty small (about size of a pager) so they can be easily hidden in a bra but probably depends on just how small your dress is! lol

Errr...in the event of passionate *ehem* sex you can unplug the pump so that all thats left in is the cannula which sits fairly flat to your skin and would take some effort to dislodge! If you prefer you can take the cannula out too but you would need to put another one in and reconnect not much more than an hour later. However, and this may be more info than you want-sorry- and if anyone can put it more eloquently please do- but if you're getting *ehem* undressed in a hurry then you need to be a bit careful you dont yank your cannula out by accident-especially if the pumps still attatched. Sorry if thats made anyone wince but you did ask!

Hi annemarie

fair enough-theres not too much info out there really on pumps and its good to know all the options. I agree control is hard at christmas (mmm mince pies)! I've been so suprised since coming on here the number of people who were misdiagnosed T2 and ended up in hospital with DKA-shocking! Must have been a big adjustment for you too
Was on lantus and humalog x3 before going on the pump and sometimes it was a real struggle to find somewhere 'comfy' to inject that wasn't full of lumpy bits-nice. only thing can suggest is change your needles and sites every single time, check you are using the right size needles for you and where possible stick TV or radio on as a distraction but sure thats teaching granny to suck eggs!

Hi Katie

Pumps are actually pretty small (about size of a pager) so they can be easily hidden in a bra but probably depends on just how small your dress is! lol

Errr...in the event of passionate *ehem* sex you can unplug the pump so that all thats left in is the cannula which sits fairly flat to your skin and would take some effort to dislodge! If you prefer you can take the cannula out too but you would need to put another one in and reconnect not much more than an hour later. However, and this may be more info than you want-sorry- and if anyone can put it more eloquently please do- but if you're getting *ehem* undressed in a hurry then you need to be a bit careful you dont yank your cannula out by accident-especially if the pumps still attatched. Sorry if thats made anyone wince but you did ask!

hehe :D don't worry, that was exactly the kind of circumstances I was wondering about... I guess it isn't much more of a problem than me going "hang on a minute, just need to check my blood sugar levels" lol.

It would be cool if they could develop an implant type thing like a pacemaker.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back