Insulin pump users would not rule out using an implantable artificial pancreas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
The aim of this survey was to establish the limitations of open loop continuous subcutaneous insulin infusion (CSII) as perceived by current users of the technology, and to ascertain their interest in and requirements for a non-electronic implantable closed loop insulin pump, INSmart, currently under development for the treatment of type 1 diabetes. INSmart has been surgically implanted in the peritoneum in animal models and continuously restored normoglycaemia.

A bottom-up survey design was used to determine both positive and negative experiences of patients currently using CSII to define the performance characteristics they would require from a non-electronic, implantable closed loop insulin pump.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/pdi.1822/full

They didn't ask me and I certainly wouldn't want one.

Interesting! I think I'd be wary of its absolute reliability, risk of infection - I wonder how you do the refills, is there an opening like with the diaport? The whole implant also looks rather large in situ (X-ray figure)!!

Just wondering what your thoughts are Sue, why you're certain you wouldn't want one? I do like to be the one in control of my diabetes and would feel very uneasy about letting go of it to such a huge extent, but the benefits could be enormous and probably you'd get used to trusting it more & more over time??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back