Insulin Pens

Status
Not open for further replies.

robyn2211

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
wondering if anyone can prompt my memory!
i went away this weekend and took two spare insulin pens with me, one long acting, one short so they have been out of the fridge since friday. I didn’t need them, I know they can’t go back in the fridge but I can still use them can’t I?

My long acting finished today this morning and wondering if I should either get a fresh pen out of the fridge or use the unrefridgated one!

thanks!

Yes you can still use them.
I have a pump and only take pens out of the fridge when I go away overnight. I say “only” but this happens at least once a fortnight for work.
When I return, I put the pen back in the fridge.
I repeat this about 10 times before throwing the pen ( actually, it is a cartridge because I do not like single use pens) away.
My pump has failed and I have had cause to use one of these cartridges that have been in and out of the fridge with no trouble.
Insulin lasts out of the fridge up to 30 days. So your pen which you took out at the start of the weekend is absolutely fine unless you left if next to the radiator or in direct sunlight.

I take my ‘back up’ vial of Lantus out of the fridge when I go away... but I’m happy to put it back in when I get back and haven’t needed it.

I just wouldnt expect it to last the full 28-30 days if and when I actually do start using it 🙂

You can use the ones you took away and you can put in the fridge.

For insulin that I take away with me when I come back I put it in the fridge but not in a box (new insulin that hasn’t been away with me stays in it’s box). This means I can tell them apart and I use the spare insulin first when I next need more insulin.

I am on a pump and I only take spares/pens when I am going to be more than an hour from home. Once out of the fridge I date them and add a discard date 28 days on. These frequently get discarded as I rarely need them. I have however been glad to have those pens with me when my pump broke (got drowned when I wore it in a pool - the crack in that I had not noticed had rather impared the waterproofness!!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back