Insulin Pen Disposal - When not empty

Status
Not open for further replies.

danielmg

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hello again everyone,

I was wondering if there was a consensus opinion or advice for the disposal of disposable insulin pens which are not empty.

I currently rarely use all of the fixed cartridge over the pen's 28 day lifespan, and can't find any concrete info on how best to dispose of. I've recently been putting into my 1L sharps bin, but I can only do this when I'm given the tall sharps bins with the larger lid. This seems more appropriate then domestic waste at least, although still doesn't seem right.

Thank you for any advice.

How much do you have left after 28 days?
I tend to just use up what is left, like I also eat things after the use by date, as long as it they don't look (or smell in the case of food) compromised. In fact I don't log when I start a new cartridge so, whilst I know I go over the 28 days, I don't know when. Naughty I know, but I can't see the point of wasting it. It is something I would take into consideration if my insulin wasn't working effectively for a couple of days, particularly if the pen was getting low but I would just use a little more if that was the case to correct my levels and continue to empty the pen. Not saying this is a good idea but just what I do and then when empty it goes in household waste or more often than not, in my partner's wood burning stove.

I guess you could just "air shot" the remaining insulin out of the pen onto a bit of tissue and then put both the tissue and the pen in the household waste bin. It's not like anyone could recover the insulin from the tissue and misuse it.

Do people put the empty pens in the regular landfill waste? I have been taking them back to pharmacy but go through the same humming and harring every time. I do multiple injections so I can do variable amounts so not to waste any.

I normally have approx. 1/2 of the cartridge remaining after 28d. I wouldn't be comfortable intentionally using longer than this time, just as i've followed advice on this since diagnosed.

Fair enough! I can't fault people following guidance.
As I suggested, you could inject the remainder onto a tissue and then dispose of both in the household waste.

@SweetGuy I'm amazed the pharmacy will take them back!

I now have re-useable pens which have half units (Novopen Echo) and are therefore helpful both in terms of more refined dosing, particularly as I follow a low carb diet so don't use much insulin so being able to adjust doses by half a unit is helpful and less impact on the environment.

I'd leave the needle I just used on and walk into the garden to airshot the remainder onto soil or gravel, needle into sharps bin and pen into household non recycling bin.

Why aren't you using re-usable pens?

I w
I'd leave the needle I just used on and walk into the garden to airshot the remainder onto soil or gravel, needle into sharps bin and pen into household non recycling bin.

Why aren't you using re-usable pens?
I was prescribed the disposable pens when first diagnosed and never thought to switch to reusable pens. Are there reusable pens for Novo Rapid Flex & Lantus Solostar?

I w

I was prescribed the disposable pens when first diagnosed and never thought to switch to reusable pens. Are there reusable pens for Novo Rapid Flex & Lantus Solostar?
I don’t know about Lantus, others here will.
I use the Novo echo pen for my Novorapid. It’s a nice solid pen that can deliver half as well as full units it also has a basic last dose thingy which is great for those don’t d I or didn’t I moments. It comes in two colours to help,prevent jabbing in the wrong insulin, (yup I’ve done it )

I don't think the Lantus will go in a Novopen Echo but I am sure there is a re-useable pen that will take Lantus. The only problem is that if the re-useable pen breaks or fails for some reason, you couldn't interchange the bolus and basal cartridges between the remaining pen until you get a replacement with Lantus like you can with Levemir which also fits the Novopen Echo. That said I have a backup re-useable pen just in case of breakage. The battery has died on the "last dose" feature but otherwise it is perfectly serviceable.

I have been using reusable pens for Lantus and NovoRapid for over 15 years.
I am a stickler for avoiding waste and single use items so when I was asked whether I’d prefer reusable pens, there was no choice.
For a short period I was on a drug trial and had to use pre-filled pens. They were so flimsy in comparison with the reusable ones.
As others have said, make sure you have backup pens for Lantus and NovoRapid. My first set lasted about 8 years which is good going but they broke suddenly with no time to source a replacement.

Imo With reusable pens it’s always wise to have spares just in case

In terms of ease of changing prescription/overall cost, would it be fairly straightforward to change? I understand this would be different for each person depending on their GP surgery. I've just watched an instructional guide for the NovoPen; seems very easy to use and the last dose display would be a helpful addition.

I asked the DSN to put it on my prescription for the NovoRapid. I later sent an email to my GP surgery requesting one for my Levemir and pointing out that it was probably a cost benefit as well as an environmental benefit. You also need to request that they change your insulin repeat prescriptions over to penfill cartridges instead of disposable pens.

I had no trouble getting my Echo pens from Gp and later on a spare from my Dn

I found these reusable pens for Lantus

EDE6D8B9-2153-4C7D-9036-CEE40CBA9F95.png

Used Autopen 24 for Lantus for years but when I moved house the new DSN seemed astonished that I was using something "so old-fashioned"! She prescribed Allstar Pro but Boots never seemed to be able to get hold of them, so I just carrried on with the Autopen. A bit clunky compared to the Luxura I have for my Humalog, but it works.
Never seen the point of disposable pens - too much storage space required and the thought of all that plastic waste horrifies me.

I use Novo pens for both my NovoRapid and Levemir; very solid and nice pens. Personally I wouldn't worry about going over the 28 days by a few days unless it's really hot weather. At worst you would notice your blood sugar being less controlled. I always finish my cartridge anyway and just put the empty one in the bin. It's mostly water and the hormone insulin so not dangerous without the pen & needle.

I normally have approx. 1/2 of the cartridge remaining after 28d. I wouldn't be comfortable intentionally using longer than this time, just as i've followed advice on this since diagnosed.
When I was on pens, I too had a load left after the 28 days, so just used to empty it into the sink before disposing of the cartridge. Now on a pump, if I go away I take pens as back up. Once they are out of the fridge I then dispose of them after 28 days. I put a sticky label on the cartridge to remind me of the expiry date. As the pens are my back up for when things have gone wrong I want to know that the insulin is going to be working properly, so happy to switch it after 28 days. If we end up away for just over 28 I will not worry.

I've managed to switch my insulin to the reusable pens and cartridges for Novorapid & Lantus. I've noticed on the box of my current pen needles (BD Microfine Ultra - 4mm) that it doesn't say compatible with NovoPen 5 (it does say NovoPen 4 however). Does anyone use these same needles with their NovoPen?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back