insulin/oral meds

Status
Not open for further replies.

vince13

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1.5 LADA
Excuse a probably very silly question but, when I've used up all usefulness of oral medication (metformin, gliclazide etc), and eventually have to go onto insulin (Hba1c last time 7.1 but morning bs are rising again to top 7s mid 8s) will I stop taking oral meds altogether or do some still need to be taken to make the injected insulin work properly ?

As I say, probably silly question but I really don't know so.....😱

There re a few people on insulin who take oral meds too. I'm not sure exactly how it owrks, but it seems some of the oral meds help the insulin work more effectively or be absorbed better.

I was just about to put out an alert for you Faith! 🙂

Not a silly question at all. A lot will depend on why you need to go onto insulin. In your case, as a Type 1.5 it will be because your pancreas, despite the assistance of the meds, can no longer keep your blood sugars in check. I would expect that you would stop taking your oral medications once on insulin, as you would be injecting an appropriate amount of insulin rather than trying to get your pancreas to produce more (gliclazide), or to diminish the effects of carbs on your BG (metformin). 🙂

I was just about to put out an alert for you Faith! 🙂

Thank you both for your answers - that all makes sense to me.

Yes - I'm still here Alan, lurking mostly as I have very little to add to things on the forum just at the moment. I was sorry not to have been able to get to any "meets" yet but I live in hope of actually putting faces to names.

Trust all is well with you now ? Kind regards

Thank you both for your answers - that all makes sense to me.

Yes - I'm still here Alan, lurking mostly as I have very little to add to things on the forum just at the moment. I was sorry not to have been able to get to any "meets" yet but I live in hope of actually putting faces to names.

Trust all is well with you now ? Kind regards

Hi Faith, glad to hear you are OK - I'm fine, thank you 🙂 I do hope you will be able to make one of the meets, it would be a great pleasure to meet you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back