Not open for further replies.

everydayupsanddowns

Administrator
Staff member
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Pronouns
He/Him
For the second time in as many weeks I’ve had to dial my basal down another few notches.

Usually that sorts it, but after multiple adjustments downwards I may need to start thinking about carb ratios!

Anyone else having the Spring Effect?

Not in the same way but mines seems to be changing all the rules and I'm not quite sure what exactly what they are(I'm trying varrious things to find a balance) i may be compromiseing in some places the rules(I don't if this is just a whille ill thing or more of a long term change). I am 8 months in and I here it's common for rules to start changing around that time.

There are places in the world that don’t have recognizable seasons - they should only let diabetic people live there.😉 Tweak-free zones!
Ifor some reason that reminded of Iceland as weather can be all over the place thier(however I think that would actually make things more unpredictable) but in terms of daylight it's all the time in summer(I've been thier in the summer it never gets dark it's wired) and verry little on the winter.

Yep, was 25 units of levemir a few months ago now down to 14

Yup…me too.

Morning levemir going down, have already tweaked lunchtime ratio and think I’ll have to evening meal too…hey ho.🙄

Everyone's talking about insulin needs going down however mine are going up . Fought however mine appear to be going up.

This week had to reduce basal rate between 4-8am as was waking in low 4s, same with other basal rates recently, come winter they will be go up again.

Yes me! Basal been up and down like a yo-yo these last couple of weeks. A half unit here and a half unit there. Was always 10.5 units Levemir day and night. Now on 9 for both. Although currently in the Scottish Highlands where one day it’s spring and the next day we’re back in winter!

Definitely Spring is sprung
After a long while of hardly any hypos I have had a few post meal hypos and I am adjusting carb ratios.

It has to be a lot warmer than this for it to affect my insulin needs.

That said, I am currently involved with a clinic trial for which I had to take my temperature. The thermometer was provided by the research team. It was reporting my body temperature to be 34 degrees. As I was not hypothermic, I must be a cold blooded lizard. (Or the thermometer is broken.)

Everyone's talking about insulin needs going down however mine are going up . Fought however mine appear to be going up.
Well perhaps not all of them actually think I might be getting the balance wrong with what I'm changing.

For the second time in as many weeks I’ve had to dial my basal down another few notches.

Usually that sorts it, but after multiple adjustments downwards I may need to start thinking about carb ratios!

Anyone else having the Spring Effect?
Mine is the opposite - I've had to increase my Tresiba from 14 units to 16 units because my BG wasn't coming down overnight. There's definitely been some improvement but I may have to increase further. Time will tell.

I was diagnosed T1 in late 2020 and back then my starting background dose was 8 units. In almost a year and a half it's doubled!

Not sure how 16 units compares to others though. Don't know if it's still quite a low, medium or high amount of background to be taking but I suspect it won't be the last time it needs to increase. I have never needed to reduce my background, only ever increase.

Same here! I've had to increase my Tresiba by 2 units and I may have to increase further.

Mine is the opposite - I've had to increase my Tresiba from 14 units to 16 units because my BG wasn't coming down overnight. There's definitely been some improvement but I may have to increase further. Time will tell.

I was diagnosed T1 in late 2020 and back then my starting background dose was 8 units. In almost a year and a half it's doubled!

Not sure how 16 units compares to others though. Don't know if it's still quite a low, medium or high amount of background to be taking but I suspect it won't be the last time it needs to increase. I have never needed to reduce my background, only ever increase.
I finding it hard to find ballance I think I need less at some points but more at others can't do that really

I finding it hard to find ballance I think I need less at some points but more at others can't do that really
It's difficult sometimes to get the balance right. I tend to find that I might have a few weeks of relative stability, and then out of the blue it goes a bit haywire and suddenly my carb ratios no longer work for example, and I need to change them - usually this means I need more insulin, never less.

I know about the so-called "honeymoon period" where your pancreas slowly stops producing insulin can have a big impact, and as it dies off then needs tend to increase, and I suspect this is happening to me, and possibly you too, given you were only diagnosed 8 months ago, and I in December 2020. We're both still "new" to this I guess 🙂

It is likely your beta cells dying out and coming to the end of your honeymoon period. That can be a blessing or a curse depending upon how smooth or rocky your honeymoon period was.... personally I was pleased to see the back of it. 🙄
My basal needs have been varying on an almost daily basis recently both up and down but I think I am on the summer downward trend now as my daytime needs have dropped..... My daytime basal is normally pretty static and it is my night time that needs lots of adjustment depending upon what I have done during the day. With Levemir I can do that because it is more flexible but with Tresiba you have to be slower about making adjustments.
Everyone is different with insulin needs but my current basal dose is 20 units in the morning and 2 at night. I was on 22 yesterday morning and 4 at night, so I have dropped 4 units from yesterday when I had to treat/ head off a few hypos. Getting a reasonably straight line today so looking good so far.

It is likely your beta cells dying out and coming to the end of your honeymoon period. That can be a blessing or a curse depending upon how smooth or rocky your honeymoon period was.... personally I was pleased to see the back of it. 🙄
My basal needs have been varying on an almost daily basis recently both up and down but I think I am on the summer downward trend now as my daytime needs have dropped..... My daytime basal is normally pretty static and it is my night time that needs lots of adjustment depending upon what I have done during the day. With Levemir I can do that because it is more flexible but with Tresiba you have to be slower about making adjustments.
Everyone is different with insulin needs but my current basal dose is 20 units in the morning and 2 at night. I was on 22 yesterday morning and 4 at night, so I have dropped 4 units from yesterday when I had to treat/ head off a few hypos. Getting a reasonably straight line today so looking good so far.
Yes that is what I suspected also, as my needs have increased throughout the last year and a half-ish. Generally my honeymoon period (no idea why the call it that, it's far from a honeymoon) has been pretty good, with long periods of stability, followed by few days/weeks of rising sugars, panic, confusion and increase in background after chatting with my DSN, then the cycle continues. I have to say after a rocky start I've really found the Libre 2 invaluable for the data it collects. I wouldn't say I have a straight line right now, it's kind of like a mountain range, but rather than being in target for only 3% of the time as I was at one point last week, I am currently sitting at 80% in target range. Of course this does drop depending on what I'm eating and if I have calculated my bolus correctly, which seems a bit unpredictable right now.

I'm not familiar with Levemir - when you say you have 20 units basal in the morning and 2 at night, how does this work? I use Tresiba, which I use only once a day, in the mornings. Being able to take basal more than once a day seems to be a bit more flexible than Tresiba with its once daily application. You're right about adjustments with Tresiba being slow as well. When I make a change it can be several days before I see the effects. I've kind of got used to this now though.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back