Insulin needs changing every few days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rayray119

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Pronouns
She/Her
At the moment I seem to be increasing my insulin then it's setlles for a few days so I think I got it sorted then it changes again(obviously I don't make discussions of one occasion) has this ever happened to anyone else?

It can feel like that some times to me. And some times I wonder if it will just keep going up forever! But then after a while it settles back down.

Plus of course, there are other things at play which might give the impression that your insulin needs have changed, when it might be something else (site absorption, insulin getting tired, or whatever)

I wrote a post some years ago about just this sort of thing, which reminded me of studying animation where to be convincing movement is often made to go ‘too far’ then bounce back. Adjusting my doses felt the same, I had to go a bit too high up, before it would settle back down a notch 🙂

I had 3 distinct phases where my insulin needs stepped up as my honeymoon period came to an end. The first was about 6 months after diagnosis and then just over a year and the final one after my first Covid vaccine and that was a steady increase of almost 100% in my basal dose over about 3 months. I do need to tweak my evening Levemir doses quite frequently by a unit or two up or down due to activity levels etc but things have otherwise been pretty settled with my doses since May 2021 and I think that is probably the "end of the end" of my honeymoon period. I think it likely that this may be a start of the end of your honeymoon period.

At the moment I seem to be increasing my insulin then it's setlles for a few days so I think I got it sorted then it changes again(obviously I don't make discussions of one occasion) has this ever happened to anyone else?
This is just how diabetes works to be honest, insulin needs are constantly changing, even within the days at times, staying the same for a couple days before changing again at others.

I had 3 distinct phases where my insulin needs stepped up as my honeymoon period came to an end. The first was about 6 months after diagnosis and then just over a year and the final one after my first Covid vaccine and that was a steady increase of almost 100% in my basal dose over about 3 months. I do need to tweak my evening Levemir doses quite frequently by a unit or two up or down due to activity levels etc but things have otherwise been pretty settled with my doses since May 2021 and I think that is probably the "end of the end" of my honeymoon period. I think it likely that this may be a start of the end of your honeymoon period.
I thought it was it started it end a few months ago when they increased but maybe I was wrong.

My insulin requirements changes every few weeks. We (me and my DSN) believe mine is based on hormones and my menstrual cycle as it’s the only thing it can be.
I am meeting the consultant about a pump for this very reason.

There may be a pattern, it helps to have your team look at the overall patterns say over a month.

And record everything that you do, that helps.

My insulin requirements changes every few weeks. We (me and my DSN) believe mine is based on hormones and my menstrual cycle as it’s the only thing it can be.
I am meeting the consultant about a pump for this very reason.

There may be a pattern, it helps to have your team look at the overall patterns say over a month.

And record everything that you do, that helps.
I tend to record the insulin intake and blood sugar levels along with the carbs I've eaten in the my suger up.

I thought it was it started it end a few months ago when they increased but maybe I was wrong.
That was the point that I was trying to make. For some people the end of the honeymoon period isn't a one time thing. It starts and stops and starts again and it took about 2 years in total for my honeymoon period to come to an end but there were 3 distinct stages in that process for me where basal needs increased for a few weeks or months and then stabilized for several months give or take a few units and then started to increase again.
@PhoebeC is correct in that your hormonal fluctuations will also impact things and the combination of the two may make it difficult to see obvious patterns for a while. So pleased I am finished with all that.... both monthly cycles and honeymoon. 🙄

Gmn
@PhoebeC is correct in that your hormonal fluctuations will also impact things and the combination of the two may make it difficult to see obvious patterns for a while. So pleased I am finished with all that.... both monthly cycles and honeymoon. 🙄
Hmn there's also my current issues which I'm getting a bit worried about not having gotten to boltom of things(thanks to rubbish doctors and turns out it's not me that has that conclusion because I saw someone the other day and happned to say something about that and they say which doctors is it is (name of my surgery) by any chance so turns they known for being rubbish)

Hmn there's also my current issues which I'm getting a bit worried about not having gotten to boltom of things(thanks to rubbish doctors and turns out it's not me that has that conclusion because I saw someone the other day and happned to say something about that and they say which doctors is it is (name of my surgery) by any chance so turns they known for being rubbish)
Can you move surgery?

Do you have a hospital team? My DSN is great and I can just email her or call the team at the hospital if needed.

Can you move surgery?

Do you have a hospital team? My DSN is great and I can just email her or call the team at the hospital if needed.
I do have a hospital team(I saw the nuse on Monday) that I contact for diabetes related problems the issues I was referring to are other illnesses. I looking to change surgery's it will probably need wait for the last year result to be back before I do that. Although that will be the second time I've done that(although one this surgery is better at now then my old os giv me diabetic related my old one would probably start to see I was using more insulin then I was a few months ago and grill me on it).

I do have a hospital team(I saw the nuse on Monday) that I contact for diabetes related problems the issues I was referring to are other illnesses. I looking to change surgery's it will probably need wait for the last year result to be back before I do that. Although that will be the second time I've done that(although one this surgery is better at now then my old os giv me diabetic related my old one would probably start to see I was using more insulin then I was a few months ago and grill me on it).
You said you had had a calprotectin test done, can I ask what the result of that was. Did your gastro consultant say anything about it.
Have they considered gall stones?

You said you had had a calprotectin test done, can I ask what the result of that was. Did your gastro consultant say anything about it.
Have they considered gall stones?
They check for gallstones on I went to a and e at beginning of these issues and a ultrasound a couple of weeks latervwherw apparently eventing was normal(how there is (were seen) written after pancreas so it does make me wonder) I looked back though my test results and my calprotectin level was 22(the reference range the five for normal is 0 to 50) i'm not sure my consultant has the results because he had redo gernal blood test as my doctors didn't give them to him) he did ask me if I had one and I said I did and it was normal I didn't give him a number as I hadn't seen it at that time but colonoscopy with biospocys since then which were apparently all normal. I'm seeing my consultant again on Friday. The last year I had because I have been back to my doctors and asked about certain things (which they actually don't like me doing) is something to check for exronic pancreatic insufficiency as I remember it being mentioned before which the doctor I spoke to hadn't even heard of(and actually said "well yes your pancreas produces insullin doesn't it" almost like she was saying of course your pancreas is insufficiently it's not producing insulin(alltough I could be miss reading that).

Have you had your appendix out in the past as I have just been reading about stump appendicitis which can happen when a small bit of the appendix is left behind. It can happen many years later.
My other half has been diagnosed with a perforated bowel but the surgeon can see a suspicious stump of appendix on the CT scan even though the appendix was supposedly removed 50 years ago which he thinks could be involved as it is in the same area of the colon. Diagnosis is difficult as it is not something they would consider if somebody has had the appendix removed.

Have you had your appendix out in the past as I have just been reading about stump appendicitis which can happen when a small bit of the appendix is left behind. It can happen many years later.
My other half has been diagnosed with a perforated bowel but the surgeon can see a suspicious stump of appendix on the CT scan even though the appendix was supposedly removed 50 years ago which he thinks could be involved as it is in the same area of the colon. Diagnosis is difficult as it is not something they would consider if somebody has had the appendix removed.
Yeah had it out ten years ago. They took a picture of where my apennix was supposed to be in my colonoscopy and they didn't seem to be anything all all there.

Yeah had it out ten years ago. They took a picture of where my apennix was supposed to be in my colonoscopy and they didn't seem to be anything all all there.
Although I might atough I might mentioned the picture on Friday as I'm not sure why they took a picture if there's nothing there.

as I'm not sure why they took a picture if there's nothing there.
Being thorough? Verifying that there is not a legacy problem from your surgery of 10 years ago? Scar tissue from any surgery can be a cause of further problems after months or decades of years, unfortunately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back