Insulin needle help

Status
Not open for further replies.

lanibanani79

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi

I was given 4mm tricare needles when I was first given insulin. I put in a repeat prescription and was given 6mm needles but didnt notice.

Can I use these as I've no 4mm left.

Thanks

Unless you are very skinny 6mm needles should be absolutely fine but you should really have taken them back to the pharmacy to be replaced if they are not what you are prescribed.
If you want to be extra careful or you are very slim, then pinch up and inject into the pinched flesh. That stops you hitting muscle.

Unless you are very skinny 6mm needles should be absolutely fine but you should really have taken them back to the pharmacy to be replaced if they are not what you are prescribed.
If you want to be extra careful or you are very slim, then pinch up and inject into the pinched flesh. That stops you hitting muscle.
They'll probably be ever so slightly thicker too (31G rather than 32G) but that's probably not really noticeable.

I only ever used 8mm as my ‘short ones’, and used 12mm for years, which look like harpoons compared to current 4mm ones - which visually for me look too short if anything!

Hope you get on OK with the 6mm ones @lanibanani79

As @Inka says, it may help calm your nerves to gently ‘pinch up’ the area you are injecting into - just raising it up away from underlying muscle etc a fraction?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back