Insulin life span in the fridge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1.5 LADA
Looking for knowledge on a question around insulin
I have Nova rapid. I notice that on the prescription it says dispose of after 4 weeks of opening the box, which contains 5 pens

I often have a pen or two after the 4 week period which means wasting insulin, currently I just keep using as it still seems to work after 4 weeks.
What is the collective wisdom on this issue, should I be throwing insulin away after the 4 weeks from opening?

Opening the box will not affect the lifespan at all - the 4 weeks is from starting a pen. So for each pen, discard 4 weeks after starting. The unstarted pens will be fine until the expiry date on the box, which is usually many months ahead.

Generally the ‘in use’ pen (or cartridge) is better kept out of the fridge so that the insulin is at (cool) ambient temperature. Insulin is fine like that for 28 days, and may last a little longer. Keeping it at room temp helps prevent bubbles forming in the insulin at the time of injection which can appear as liquids warm where gasses dissolved at low temps are forced out of the liquid as it warms up.

For the remaining pens kept in the fridge (worth checking what temp your fridge is running at) those should be fine up to the expiry date on the carton.

@Landrover Jason I notice you mention that you have a box of 5 pens. This suggests that you are using single use pens rather than reusable ones
I do not know why these are so commonly prescribed as the reusable pens are much better: more robust, can dispense half units, have an LCD reminder when you last took a dose, the cartridges take up less space in the fridge (and luggage when travelling) and are better for the environment.
I highly recommend requesting the reusable pens. You will need to ensure you have a spare one as they can fail ... but two pens which do not need to be kept in the fridge take up less space than 5.

And @Inka types faster than I.

Oh thanks for the reminder, I have a nova rapid pen in my locker at work, been using it for my lunch time dosage, I'm sure it's well over 4 weeks old, leave it there because when half asleep on a morning I was forgetting my pen...

@Charl I keep all my diabetes kit together. If I forget my pen, I would forget my tester and hypo treatment. Even though I only take basal at night, I also take my basal with me. Not only does it mean I know where it is, I can also deal with an unexpected late night and not worry.

Agree with @helli Everything goes everywhere with me including basal insulin, test kit and hypo treatments. It is all in my little back pack bag and I don't leave the house without it. Only one insulin cartridge of each insulin in use at any one time.

When you learn how much insulin costs people in the USA, it makes you very aware of just how precious it is and that encourages me to make an extra effort not to waste any.

Slightly off topic but I noticed today in the diabetes waiting room at the hospital a box containing little envelopes for Novo Nordisk single use pens to go in as they can now be sent back to be recycled. Not sure how long this has been going on but I think it’s fantastic and wish it had been around/I’d known about it when I was using pre-filled. I don’t use those pens anymore (hooray for smart pens!) but here is a link for anyone who would like to a) be a little more environmentally friendly and b) save a bit of space in their sharps bin! https://www.pen-cycle.co.uk/insulin-patients/how-can-i-pencycle.html

Slightly off topic but I noticed today in the diabetes waiting room at the hospital a box containing little envelopes for Novo Nordisk single use pens to go in as they can now be sent back to be recycled. Not sure how long this has been going on but I think it’s fantastic and wish it had been around/I’d known about it when I was using pre-filled. I don’t use those pens anymore (hooray for smart pens!) but here is a link for anyone who would like to a) be a little more environmentally friendly and b) save a bit of space in their sharps bin! https://www.pen-cycle.co.uk/insulin-patients/how-can-i-pencycle.html
Why would you put a pen in a sharps bin - nothing sharp about it!

Sadly, lots of people seem to think that is the correct thing to do though,,,, or were told to dispose of them that way. There is so much misinformation and confusion about sharps and refuse/recycling in general.

That was my thought as well but the DSN and local chemist told me to whack them in the sharps bin so that’s what I did. Asked how to dispose of libre applicators which do have a needle in (albeit hidden away once sensor applied) and was told to just chuck it in with normal household waste which seems totally backward to me. Not a risk I’m willing to take so save them in a box and am waiting to see if local pharmacy will give me a sharps box big enough to put them in. It‘ll have to be a pretty big one!

I saw a recycle box for them in my Boots pharmacy attached to the GP the other day so maybe more pressure to do it is at work.

That was my thought as well but the DSN and local chemist told me to whack them in the sharps bin so that’s what I did. Asked how to dispose of libre applicators which do have a needle in (albeit hidden away once sensor applied) and was told to just chuck it in with normal household waste which seems totally backward to me. Not a risk I’m willing to take so save them in a box and am waiting to see if local pharmacy will give me a sharps box big enough to put them in. It‘ll have to be a pretty big one!
My nurse prescribed me a 7 litre sharpsafe bin to put the Libre applicator in but I never collected it. I amass 20 or so and then dismantle them with a screwdriver and a pair of long nosed pliers and the needles go in the normal 1 litre sharpsafe box and I am retaining the hard plastics remaining to go to the tip and the metal springs go in metal recycling.
If you decide to give it a go, put some glasses on as those springs can ping when you open them up sometimes. There is a knack to it which is why I collect up quite a few before I process them.

My nurse prescribed me a 7 litre sharpsafe bin to put the Libre applicator in but I never collected it. I amass 20 or so and then dismantle them with a screwdriver and a pair of long nosed pliers and the needles go in the normal 1 litre sharpsafe box and I am retaining the hard plastics remaining to go to the tip and the metal springs go in metal recycling.
If you decide to give it a go, put some glasses on as those springs can ping when you open them up sometimes. There is a knack to it which is why I collect up quite a few before I process them.
Pliers and safety goggles ordered, I’m on AL just now so it’ll give me a little project as getting out into the garden is proving impossible thanks to all the rain!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back