Insulin injections daily

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can I ask what scares you?
The injections or the possible hypos?

Hi and welcome.

Sorry to hear ypu need insulin but it will help to lower your Blood Glucose (BG) levels and that will make you feel better.

What is it particularly about insulin use that concerns you? I can assure you that the needles are absolutely tiny (just 4mm long usually and not much wider than a human hair) and the pen injectors are really easy to use.

It will be fine, just a bit odd at first but you will soon get used to the routine. Been on insulin for the last 20 years.

Hi @Original
I sometimes think those of us with Type 1 have it easier with regards to insulin - we don't have a choice.
I won't lie, I too was scared when I started. But I didn't have any time to get used to it - I was injecting the first day I was diagnosed.
I don't know how much you have been introduced to what you will be doing. There is no huge syringe. It is a small needle (about 4mm) on the end of a chunky pen. You dial up your dose on the pen, stick the needle into a fatty part of your body and press the button on the pen.
OK, there are a few additions like attaching the needle (we use a different one every time) and doing an "air shot" to check the insulin comes out the end. But overall, it is straightforward.

It is usual to start on a small dose of insulin as we get used to it. This allows us to build up the dose slowly so we don't have a hypo from the start. However, it is always advised to carry fast acting carbs such as jelly babies with us at all times and keep an eye on out blood sugars.
I believe everyone treating their diabetes with insulin should be entitled to a Libre. Unfortunately, some clinics haven' caught up with the latest guidelines so thsi is not guaranteed but definitely something worth asking for when you start your insulin. It makes keeping an eye on your levels much easier than finger pricking and provides a lot more data to help you out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back