Insulin injections and hunger? Type 2 being tested for LADA

Emiibo

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I am sorry to hear that your uti is worse. I hope you get the right antibiotics to clear it up soon.
Did they send off a urine sample to the labs to find out what antibiotics would work best.

Please let us know how you get on.

no they didn’t but I’m literally just dropping one to them now for them to do a dip and go from there. Diabetes nurse now calling around 4.20 xx

Reactions: Ljc

Emiibo

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Spoke to my diabetes nurse she doesn’t want to change my insulin until I’m over this infection apparently it’s a nasty one so she’s changing antibiotic to coamoxiclav. She’s said my sugars will be higher because I’m not well at all atm. She’s advised a high protein, low carb diet which should also help my body recover whilst I’m unwell. Then she said we can look at basal/bolus when I’m recovered, she said her concern is she doesn’t want me to have to inject at least four times a day if we can get it under control with the mix.

silentsquirrel

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Is injecting a problem for you? If so, fewer injections might be a consideration.
I had several years on twice a day mixed insulin, and shall forever be grateful to the new nurse (new to me) who suggested I switch to basal/bolus. This was before I found this forum, so I was unaware it was an option.
Now I inject 5-7 times a day - 2x basal of Levimir, usually one small shot of Novorapid to deal with Dawn Phenomenon, as I don't like eating breakfast early, and 2-4 boluses for meals/snacks. My management is so much better with multiple injections.
People who don't themselves inject seem to think that injections are to be avoided if at all possible, they really aren't a problem for most people!

Emiibo

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Is injecting a problem for you? If so, fewer injections might be a consideration.
I had several years on twice a day mixed insulin, and shall forever be grateful to the new nurse (new to me) who suggested I switch to basal/bolus. This was before I found this forum, so I was unaware it was an option.
Now I inject 5-7 times a day - 2x basal of Levimir, usually one small shot of Novorapid to deal with Dawn Phenomenon, as I don't like eating breakfast early, and 2-4 boluses for meals/snacks. My management is so much better with multiple injections.
People who don't themselves inject seem to think that injections are to be avoided if at all possible, they really aren't a problem for most people!

No I don’t mind injecting at all, but she said she doesn’t want me to become a pin cushion

Inka

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
No I don’t mind injecting at all, but she said she doesn’t want me to become a pin cushion

:mad: And all the many, many people on basal/bolus are walking pin cushions, are we? She’s using an old-fashioned, inflexible insulin regime. It’s not her that has to put up with it. I’m pretty sure the NHS recommends basal/bolus for all Type 1s/LADAs if they’re happy with it.

Like TW, I too am fuming on your behalf. More injections equals more control, more flexibility, the ability to correct highs, to vary carbs for each meal without going high or low, to adjust insulin for exercise, to miss meals, etc. I bet you money she’d be on basal/bolus if she ever got LADA/Type 1.

Inka

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Here’s the guidance:

Recommended insulin regimens

Patients with type 1 diabetes should be offered multiple daily injection basal-bolus insulin regimens as the the first line choice. Twice-daily insulin detemir should be offered as the long-acting basal insulin therapy. Once-daily insulin glargine may be prescribed if insulin detemir is not tolerated, or if a twice-daily regimen is not acceptable to the patient. Insulin detemir may also be offered as an alternative once-daily regimen.”

That’s NICE that have put “first line choice” in bold there not me.

I hope your UTI is feeling a little better and you manage to sleep.

trophywench

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
@Emiibo - do you feel like a pin cushion? Do you think this silly person (not the words my brain wants me to use) has ever needed to have 5 (or more) insulin jabs a day using the tiny mega thin needles we use for doing that? Has she ever wondered why they were made that fine in the first place when we've had much longer much thicker ones for well over 60 years? Actually it's at least 70 - cos I certainly had jabs as a baby!

She absolutely isn't using her brain for its intended purpose. A very very old ?Liverpool saying springs to mind here referring to the very top and bottom of the human body - 'Up here for thinking; down there for dancing !!'

Ljc

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I reallllly wish I could have a erm ... word in your nurses she’ll like .

I hope the new antibiotics work well for you and that you are feeling much better soon.

Emiibo

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Here’s the guidance:

Recommended insulin regimens

Patients with type 1 diabetes should be offered multiple daily injection basal-bolus insulin regimens as the the first line choice. Twice-daily insulin detemir should be offered as the long-acting basal insulin therapy. Once-daily insulin glargine may be prescribed if insulin detemir is not tolerated, or if a twice-daily regimen is not acceptable to the patient. Insulin detemir may also be offered as an alternative once-daily regimen.”

That’s NICE that have put “first line choice” in bold there not me.

I hope your UTI is feeling a little better and you manage to sleep.
Thing is I’m only in the resting phase for LADA do still classed type 2

Emiibo

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Even if you are actually T2, as I am and @Ljc , why should T2s have 2nd class, less effective treatment?

Best of luck with this, and hope you are feeling much better soon.
They shouldn’t I was just saying because the NICE guidelines seem to only apply to type 1. Basal/bolus definitely does sound better, I’m hoping I’ll be more confident in requesting it once I’m feeling better. Either that or you know I’ll end up in hospital and can ask them to get the diabetes team there to get involved lol

silentsquirrel

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
They shouldn’t I was just saying because the NICE guidelines seem to only apply to type 1. Basal/bolus definitely does sound better, I’m hoping I’ll be more confident in requesting it once I’m feeling better. Either that or you know I’ll end up in hospital and can ask them to get the diabetes team there to get involved lol
Sorry, I didn't mean to imply you thought that! Yes, T2s often end up with just a basal insulin or on mixed insulin, and seem to stick on that even when it doesn't work that well.

Reactions: Ljc

Ljc

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
It’s been a while since I looked at the NICE guidelines re diabetes, it seemed to me at the time that they only recognised/ mentioned T1 and T2 though that may have changed now.

On another peer support forum (nothing to do with diabetes) we used to say to a person who was having terrible problems with the establishment.
Imagine all of us in the room standing right behind you.

Am I right in assuming that you are just under the Gp and the practices diabetes nurse (DN) ?, if so you can request you be referred to the hospital diabetes clinic, their DSNs, consultants etc are the real experts .
It is good ho hear they are testing you for LADA as it shows they are at least aware of the possibility that you may not have T2 .

everydayupsanddowns

Administrator
Staff member
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I really hope you can get this sorted @Emiibo

It seems profoundly wrong to me to insist that someone stays on an inadequate and inflexible regimen that clearly isn’t working, at exactly the time where a more flexible basal:bolus system would allow better corrections, and where the person with diabetes is actively wanting it.

I can understand there are safety concerns... but leaving someone with an infection and BG pushing the 20s doesn’t seem safe either!

Ljc

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
How are you

Emiibo

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Still feeling rough, my sugars were coming down but today have shot back up to 17&18 just by me eating a couple of potatoes with my dinner and I do mean a couple. The uti seems to be fighting back against the antibiotics and I just feel drained emotionally and physically. But thank you for asking xx

Inka

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
So frustrating for you @Emiibo :( The highs will make you feel worse and not help. Remember too that some antibiotics can make you feel quite rough too, so they might be contributing.

I really hope the stupid UTI goes away soon. They really are nasty things.