Insulin injections and hunger? Type 2 being tested for LADA

Emiibo

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
So I was put on insulin as my blood sugars suddenly became uncontrolled so I’m being tested for LADA, I’m not type 1 as my cpap shows I’m producing some insulin. Anyway I’m needing advice on the hunger and carb cravings from insulin injections do these settle down, as I’m struggling with sorting my insulin (mixed) dose out as I’m snacking on all the wrong things. Would I be better on a low carb high fat diet? would that help control hunger? I’ve also messaged my diabetes nurse for advice but I thought you guys might be able to help as well

Inka

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
The hunger could be because your body couldn’t use the food properly before. What insulin are you taking? Have you been told how many carbs to eat?

Inka

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Ok, well on fixed doses you need to stick to the amounts of carbs you’ve been told to eat to avoid the risk of hypos. Always keep hypo treatments with you just in case. Use your carb allowance wisely - ie choose healthy carbs, and bulk up your meals with veg and protein to get a normal meal.

I was on mixed insulin when first diagnosed and possibly it does increase hunger because you’ve got the slower part of the mix gearing up and potentially making you hungry, but, as I said, the main hunger I felt was after ‘starving’ prior to diagnosis (I was eating lots but couldn’t use the food I was eating). So it should settle gradually.

You could also ask about swapping to a basal/bolus regime which would give you more flexibility.

Do you know what your CPeptide result was? Some adult-onset Type 1s do make a little insulin in the early months.

trophywench

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Inka is correct - if they want you to be on fixed doses of mixed insulin - then you have to have a fixed lifestyle and eating pattern to match. If you ever do anything different, then you'll suffer. (not them!)

Hence whatever 'type' you happen to be if you don't want your life to be dictated to by your diabetes then I also highly recommend a 'basal/bolus' insulin regime because that is more flexible to just being 'normal' !

Isn't it worth having to have more jabs every day? About 99.999% of us, believe it is.

Emiibo

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
They only put me on the novomix because that’s what I had during gestational diabetes do I knew how to use it. But I could enquire about a basal bolus regime, the diabetes nurse hasn’t given me another dose advice from the 30-50g carbs since I was first diagnosed in April??

Inka

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
That makes sense @Emiibo re knowing how to use Novomix. Perhaps they thought that was the simplest thing? But I would push to go on a basal/bolus regime simply because it gives you more flexibility. You can eat when you want eg have lunch a bit late, and adjust your mealtime insulin to suit the amount of carbs you’re about to eat. With mixed insulin and fixed doses, you’re having to eat to suit the insulin. It’s better the other way round.

How are your blood sugars on the Novomix?

Emiibo

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
They’re still not coming down properly yet I’m getting between 11.7 and 19 before food!!! I got a couple of 6.7 last week but I’m thinking that was a fluke. I’m on 8 units at breakfast and 10 units at dinner I’m able to put my dinner one up by 2 units every few days until my morning bg is between 5 and 8 this morning so before breakfast was 15.4!!

Inka

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
@Emiibo Thats awful - that you’ve been left dealing with blood sugars that high. They must be making you feel rough quite apart from anything else.

Novomix is cr@p as are most mixed insulins because it’s a lucky person who actually needs the slow and fast acting insulins in the proportion they come in the pre-mixed insulin. It makes it extremely hard to make adjustments and get any kind of control. They make it hard to see what’s going on.

I urge you to push for a proper insulin regime. Not some vague time in the future - now. It really p****s me off when adult-onset Type 1s/LADA are treated with not enough urgency - and misdiagnosed in the first place!

Tell them your daily routine doesn’t fit with the mixed insulin and you need the more flexible basal/bolus routine. That way you can start to get control and get your sugars down gradually. Having a bolus insulin will allow you to correct any highs too.

Emiibo

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Yeah I currently also have a uti, because bloods are do high and am on nitrofuratoin for that. I’m so tired and thirsty but I’m not sleeping properly because of the uti and increased needing to wee. As well as lower back pain. I’m getting night sweats. I also feel a failure because I haven’t got the sugars under control yet or lost the weight etc

Inka

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Poor thing :( You’re not a failure. You can’t perform well with rubbishy tools. Please give your team a call tomorrow and say you’re not happy. Sometimes you have to push and be firm. Very firm!

You should have a basal insulin to fulfil your background needs and keep you steady when you’re not eating, and a bolus insulin to inject before meals (and correct with if necessary). You can then adjust them carefully but with a much more predictable and logical effect. Then you’ll get control - and have more flexibility in your daily life.

Ljc

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I must say I agree with @Inka , you are not a failure ! But it looks to me that they (your team/ nurse have failed you. You should have been told the sickk day rules for your mixed insulin,so please get an urgent telephone appointment with them.

With those high levels and a uti you must be feeling dreadful (((Hug)))

I have T2 and am on a Basal bolus Insulin regime and totally agree with those who’ve said it’s far more flexible. You can miss meals, give correction doses and after you’ve been on it a while you learn to adjust the units of both the Basal and bolus insulin’s yourself , I taught myself so it’s not rocket science.

Emiibo

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Thanks guys, I’m hoping they’ll call me back shortly. It’s like this morning my bg doesn’t make sense I woke up it was 11.2 all I did after that was take my meds with water and drive son to school. Tested when I got back for my before breakfast result and it had rose to 14!! How when I’d eaten nothing and only drank water??

Emiibo

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
They’ve given me a leaflet for sick day rules but all it really says is about avoiding hypos if you’re feeling sick so not wanting to eat, but that you still need to take your insulin and then gives you options of things that might be more palatable than food???

Inka

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
A Waking Rise? My blood sugar goes up as soon as I get up. Or you’re simply not having enough basal, or at the right time or the right kind.

I hope you get proper help from them. Don’t let them palm you off. Insist on a change.

Inka

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
They’ve given me a leaflet for sick day rules but all it really says is about avoiding hypos if you’re feeling sick so not wanting to eat, but that you still need to take your insulin and then gives you options of things that might be more palatable than food???

Yes, that sounds like the old-fashioned sick day rules I got when I was first diagnosed years ago. Eating to the insulin when, in 2020, you should be adjusting your insulin according to what you eat.

Sending you some forceful vibes. X

Emiibo

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Thank you so much, they’re calling me back at about 2. Also I’ve got dr calling as I’m now getting kidney area pain and abdominal pain that paracetamol isn’t touching it

Inka

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Not good :( UTIs are horrible. I found a hot water bottle on my back helps a little. I hope the doctor can sort it for you or at least help the pain. X

Long term getting your blood sugar in range will help enormously. If you had a bolus insulin you could correct the highs, which is even more important when you’re not well.

Look after yourself. X

Ljc

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I am sorry to hear that your uti is worse. I hope you get the right antibiotics to clear it up soon.
Did they send off a urine sample to the labs to find out what antibiotics would work best.

Please let us know how you get on.