Insulin in fridge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aybrice (Blueduck)

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Can anyone answer a question for me

Left my insulin at work, so started a new vial with a spare pen. Only used it once and still had plenty left in the one I left at work

I put the whole pen and vial in the fridge and have gone back to using the other one

Will the vial I used once and put back in the fridge be ok to use again, or will it deteriorate and be unusable after 28 days?

I would be happy to use insulin which has been in and out of the fridge.

As I have a pump, I need to carry spare pen and cartridge with me when I go away overnight. The cartridge is taken out of the fridge when I leave home and returned to the fridge when I return. This can happen many times as my pump rarely fails. The pen cartridge is fine. I tend to throw it after I have been away 10 or so cumulative nights if I don't use it.

Well reusable pens aren't meant to be refrigerated as it can stop the mechanism working correctly, I'd assume the insulin would be fine but my concern would be the pen itself xx

Vial? Do you mean cartridge? @Kaylz is right - re-useable pens shouldn’t be put in a fridge. Take it out ASAP. I’d simply have carried on using both pens.

Pens and vials can stay out at room temp for 28 days. Once I have taken my insulin out of the fridge, I never refrigerate.

As I leave my whole pen in a frio pouch when on hot holidays when we are out all day, I did not consider the mechanics could be affected, never had a problem putting them in the frio but I don’t suppose that’s quite as cold as the fridge

Maybe I’ll try to use it when I’ve finished with my current one and see what the results are, thanks you all for prompt help

A Frio bag is not cold like a fridge, it just keeps the insulin at a safe temperature if you are somewhere very hot. So your pens are fine in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back