Insulin, Ileostomy & Diabetes type 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris101

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi I am a newbee. I have recently had an ileostomy and have type 2 diabetes. I am having real problems controlling my blood sugar. I am taking 30ml of insulin daily and still very high. Any suggestions would be wwelcome

Hi I am a newbee. I have recently had an ileostomy and have type 2 diabetes. I am having real problems controlling my blood sugar. I am taking 30ml of insulin daily and still very high. Any suggestions would be wwelcome
Hi Chris
Good to hear you have insulin but it sounds like the dose probably isn't enough yet..... They tend to start you on a low/conservative dose and gradually increase it, so that you don't risk going hypo straight away.

Which insulin is it and when do you take it?

It may be that you need a different type of insulin either as well as the one you are taking or instead, depending upon what you are currently using, so once we know what it is and when you take it, we can advise you better on what to ask your nurse.

For your information and to avoid any confusion in the future, insulin is measured in units not mls.

@everydayupsanddowns I wonder if this post should be split into it's own thread to get more attention as it is probably more to do with insulin usage than diet for stoma and Type 2

Hi @chris101 What’s the name of your insulin (full name including any letters or numbers)?

Sorry to hear you are having a difficult time @chris101

Did you meal ml or units for your insulin use. Insulin doses are usually measured in ‘units’ where standard strength insulin is 100units per ml, so 30ml seems unlikely?

I only ask because 30u wouldn’t be a particularly large Total Daily Dose (all your daily insulin doses added together). Particularly with T2, where insulin resistance can lead to larger doses.

Though if your doses have started small, and been increasing with little apparent improvement, I can understand how frustrating it would be :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back