Insulin help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Totalwar

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I just been put on short acting Insulin novorapid.

I been told 5 units 15mins before dinner.is it two hours after dinner I should check sugar levels?

I also so on Abasaglar 84 units a day.

my hb1a was 97 a few weeks ago which I know is very high.Any advice is much appreciated.

Last edited:
Are you sure they said to take it after dinner? Most of us take our short acting (bolus) insulin before our meal. Or am I misunderstanding you? Are you talking about testing? If so, you might want to test at 2 hours post meal and again at bedtime.

You need to take the novorapid between 15- 30 mins before your meal not after it. Yes check your blood sugars 2 hours after you have eaten. 🙂

Insulin novorapid how should store this do you keep it in the fridge once opened or out?

Insulin novorapid how should store this do you keep it in the fridge once opened or out?
Most insulin, including NovoRapid, can be kept out of the fridge for up to 30 days.
In fact, it is best NOT to keep in use insulin in the fridge as it can sting when injected if it is cold.

Do you have reusable insulin pen? These are more robust than the single use ones, the cartridges take up less space in your fridge and they are better for the environment because there is less waste.

The in use pen should be kept out of the fridge but it should not be exposed to high temperatures ie left in a hot car in the summer or on a windowsill in a conservatory etc and if holidaying abroad in hot countries (chance would be a fine thing 🙄), you need to take greater care with it, but in the UK the ambient temp is usually fine for it. Spare pens that are unopened should be kept in the fridge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back