Insulin gone off in the fridge?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SB2015

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
has anyone had a batch of insulin gone off in the fridge. Ours is situated in a room that has got very hot over the last few weeks. I have a bit of a puzzle as I have been feeling rough, so using TBRs but I hypoed last night so had reduced the TBR and was expecting it to stabilise and carry on dropping.

I did an infusion set change today and then was high all day. There are too many possible factors, but I have switched to a new batch on the off chance that the old one had got too hot at some point in the fridge. May be clutching at straws here and just wanting to be better.

Any ideas.

I personally suspect there is a batch of faulty infusion sets about.
Sally71's daughter is having problems as you describe as am I now had 3 bad sets in this box and that's more than I have had in 12 years of pumping.
Even though we all have different pumps the same manufacturer makes and supplies the cannulas under different names.

I’ve certanly had insulin go off in a fridge. It was when our last fridge was on its last legs. Took me ages to twig though!

The change of insulin batch and infusion set worked. Once settled back in range I levelled out.
I don’t know which was the problem but I did have problems priming the previous set.
35D93C3C-DB55-4B8E-AFD7-1ACBDD1F34DF.jpeg

Yes this sounds exactly like the problem we were having, which I can only conclude must have been either rotten luck with two dodgy cannulas in a row, or possibly leakage from the tube. We are now tootling along with great numbers and a Libre track almost as good as yours! We have +20% basal at the moment, but that's just usual school holiday-itis. (Summer holidays are a nightmare, no routine and not as much physical or brain activity as usual, BGs tend to just go higher and higher the longer school is closed!)
I have never yet known insulin to go off, although of course it's always a possibility.
Incidentally, has anyone else who uses Flexlink noticed that the tubes seem to have a much rougher texture lately? They used to be dead smooth to the touch, now quite a lot of them are not smooth, sometimes a whole boxful, sometimes just some of them. My daughter doesn't like the feel of the rough ones and gets a bit upset about them! It doesn't stop them doing their job so I shan't complain about it, but it's curious why they've changed. I don't think that's the cause of the problem though, we've had a lot more rough tubes than problems with high BGs!

Yes this sounds exactly like the problem we were having, which I can only conclude must have been either rotten luck with two dodgy cannulas in a row, or possibly leakage from the tube. We are now tootling along with great numbers and a Libre track almost as good as yours! We have +20% basal at the moment, but that's just usual school holiday-itis. (Summer holidays are a nightmare, no routine and not as much physical or brain activity as usual, BGs tend to just go higher and higher the longer school is closed!)
I have never yet known insulin to go off, although of course it's always a possibility.
Incidentally, has anyone else who uses Flexlink noticed that the tubes seem to have a much rougher texture lately? They used to be dead smooth to the touch, now quite a lot of them are not smooth, sometimes a whole boxful, sometimes just some of them. My daughter doesn't like the feel of the rough ones and gets a bit upset about them! It doesn't stop them doing their job so I shan't complain about it, but it's curious why they've changed. I don't think that's the cause of the problem though, we've had a lot more rough tubes than problems with high BGs!

Thanks Sally. It really helps to know that the problem is wider. Yes I checked my tubing this morning when I changed the set and I am using flex link. I wonder if they are using a different manufacturer. I realised last night when I was changing set again I had had problem priming the new set in the morning. Still no idea what is giong ooh but on the watch for further problems.

I can understand the issue of BGs in holidays with the variability in what is giong on. That caused havoc for me whenI first retired. I now have some TBRs planned for regular activities or inactivity and then juggle for the one off activities, guessing which is the closest match.

Is it worth setting a different programme in the Combo for holidays as a basic basal? Although like you I tend to use TBRs more often than alternative programmes.

Yes I had thought about setting up another basal pattern for holidays. We have one for school days and one for non-school days at the moment, the latter works quite well for weekends but the problem with long holidays is that it keeps changing, more often than not the longer she's off school the higher the BG goes, and if I try to adjust the main basal pattern I seem to be fiddling and faffing forever and never quite get it right. Whereas temp basals are easily adjustable and seem to do a better job of keeping things under control (without giving me a headache too) so that's the way I'm favouring at the moment! She was on 120% today and went low a couple of times so I've left it on 100% tonight and we'll see what happens 🙄

Yes I had thought about setting up another basal pattern for holidays. We have one for school days and one for non-school days at the moment, the latter works quite well for weekends but the problem with long holidays is that it keeps changing, more often than not the longer she's off school the higher the BG goes, and if I try to adjust the main basal pattern I seem to be fiddling and faffing forever and never quite get it right. Whereas temp basals are easily adjustable and seem to do a better job of keeping things under control (without giving me a headache too) so that's the way I'm favouring at the moment! She was on 120% today and went low a couple of times so I've left it on 100% tonight and we'll see what happens 🙄
The joys of T1!! TBRs are great, and very flexible, while they work.
If only things staid the same, and now the hot weather is back just to mess up whatever we have got sorted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back