Insulin, GLP-1 Combination Therapy Results

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
A new combination of long-acting insulin plus a GLP-1 compound is in phase 3 trials and the results are outstanding....

IDegLira, a fixed-ratio combination of insulin degludec and the glucagon like peptide-1 agonist liraglutide, outperformed each medication alone in a 26 week pivotal phase III clinical trial. Patients on IDegLira averaged a 1.91% drop to an HbA1c of 6.4%, compared to1.44% drop to 6.9% with insulin degludec and the 1.28% reduction to an HbA1c of 7.0% with liraglutide. In addition, the IDegLira group fared significantly better in terms of 32% lower rate of hypoglycemic events compared to the insulin degludec group.

http://www.diabetesincontrol.com/ar...037-insulin-glp-1-combination-therapy-results

I think I'll have to read this tomorrow when my brain is less tired - too many long words! :D

It's interesting in that NovoNordisk hasn't tested and doesn't recommend liraglutide and insulin being prescribed together. Having said that the patient info says you can inject victoza and insulin in the same part of the body but not next to each other! I am wondering if the together is a possible explanation of the unexplained hypos I have sometimes had.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back