INSULIN GLARGINE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Totalwar

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Does this insulin GLARGINE
last longer 16 hours?hoping this one be less insulin and only have to inject once a day.

I on Abasaglar 84 units a day split into 42 unit’s twice A day and finding it really painful not the needle part after when I put the insulin in.

If you are talking about Lantus then it generally lasts 24 hours. However Glargine is known to sting some people and it may well be doing that to you at those high levels

At present on Abasaglar.
But would like to go on a Long-acting insulin.

Lantus (the brand name for the generic insulin Glargine) lasts "up to" 24 hours. Some people find it starts to wane after 20 hours or so.
As @Pattidevans mentioned, some people find it stings when injected.
Its profile is not as flat as some of the new er insulins such as Tresiba and Levemir - there is a peak in potency 5 hours after injecting.
That said, I used it for 12 years before migrating to a pump and still have it as my back up. I needed more flexibility than provided with Tresiba (hence moving to a pump) so found it ok to adjust on days when I exercised, for example. It tended to last about 22 hours but I timed my dose so the last couple of hours coincided with my evening meal so my bolus dose "took up the slack".
I never felt the sting but maybe that is because my dose is relatively small.

I may be wrong, but I think Lantus, Abasaglar (sp.?) and Semglee are all insulin glargine.

Oh well, no basal insulin will cover meals as well as background needs. It isn't supposed to - so you can't expect it to.

According to the NICE guidelines there is no difference between Abasaglar and Lantus. However if you wanted a longer acting insulin you coud ask for Tresiba. The stinging is caused by the "carrier" fluid which is apparently acidic. I believe this doesn't happen with Tresiba. Nor with Levemir, but of course Levemir doesn't generally last quite as long, but is certainly a more flexible regime to be on.

Long-acting insulin​

Like intermediate-acting insulins, the long-acting insulins (protamine zinc insulin, insulin zinc suspension, insulin detemir, insulin glargine, insulin degludec) mimic endogenous basal insulin secretion, but their duration of action may last up to 36 hours. They achieve a steady-state level after 2–4 days to produce a constant level of insulin.

Insulin glargine and insulin degludec are given once daily and insulin detemir is given once or twice daily according to individual requirements. The older long-acting insulins, (insulin zinc suspension and protamine zinc insulin) are now rarely prescribed.
from nice website

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back