Insulin during illness?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anxious 63

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
just wondering if somebody has infection bacterial or viral or if one is stressed and blood sugars increase should you still take your insulin or find out if something else is increasing your BS , i have taken insulin lately and then started taking insulin lately and now having hypos , for instance going from mid teens then down to 3.5

Sorry you’ve been having some unpredictable results from insulin @Anxious 63

Have you been given ‘sick day rules’ to help?

Stress, injury and illness all have are reputation for increasing glucose levels, and can mean you will need to take more insulin than you would normally need.

But you are right, it’s important not to over-correct as you can end up going from too high to too low!

How are you calculating your doses?

just wondering if somebody has infection bacterial or viral or if one is stressed and blood sugars increase should you still take your insulin or find out if something else is increasing your BS , i have taken insulin lately and then started taking insulin lately and now having hypos , for instance going from mid teens then down to 3.5
Not to sure what you are asking/saying as your post is a tad confusing 🙂

If you are asking if you should be taking your insulin while ill then yes most def.
If you are having hypo's then obviously you are having too much insulin, so need to consider lowering your dose.

right thanks guys yes it is a bit of a ramble seen the consultant last week and she gave me the libre which now works ok , but yes its a bit up and down to much i think maybe i am on too large a dose of novamix 30 of morning and 24 a evening but it has been going low like 3.5 and 4.8 to from around mid teens nearly touching 20 , thing is it just does not feel right at all

right thanks guys yes it is a bit of a ramble seen the consultant last week and she gave me the libre which now works ok , but yes its a bit up and down to much i think maybe i am on too large a dose of novamix 30 of morning and 24 a evening but it has been going low like 3.5 and 4.8 to from around mid teens nearly touching 20 , thing is it just does not feel right at all
Fingerstick to make sure the libre is accurate and when are you going low?

just tried the finger test its a bit lower but not much tok the insulin and still at 14

It can be quite difficult to fine-tune doses of mixed insulins. Because the background and meal parts are blended together in a fixed relationship, and you can’t adjust one without the other.

Sounds like it would be worth you discussing the challenges you are having with your nurse, and perhaps moving to a more flexible system?

just tried the finger test its a bit lower but not much tok the insulin and still at 14
As you are on a mixed insulin, you need to take it 30 mins before you eat so 30 mins before breakfast and 30 mins before evening meal.
If you are still having high blood sugars then you need to talk to you team if you are not comfortable increasing your insulin on your own 🙂

yeah i think thats what i will do i was on lantus at first but now novamix , you see i worry an awful lot about stuff like this , i dont like things i dont understand

yeah i think thats what i will do i was on lantus at first but now novamix , you see i worry an awful lot about stuff like this , i dont like things i dont understand
What don't you understand?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back