insulin dosages

Status
Not open for further replies.

paul.johnson

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi everyone,im a bit baffled ??????// old routines die hard, but its this.....
i am on novorapid pen and lantis,, 6 units for brekkie, 6 units for lunch28lantis, 10 units rapid for tea....Is it right that i can have diff amounts of rapid,say if im really really starving in morning and have 3 weetabix,instead of two,you know break the robot style eating once in a while,or have a big roast dinner with 7 roasts instead of 4.??????????????????:confused:

i am on novorapid pen and lantis,, 6 units for brekkie, 6 units for lunch28lantis, 10 units rapid for tea....Is it right that i can have diff amounts of rapid,say if im really really starving in morning and have 3 weetabix,instead of two,you know break the robot style eating once in a while,or have a big roast dinner with 7 roasts instead of 4.??????????????????:confused:

It is right...........its simply all about matching up the amount of carbs with insulin..........

1 unit deals with different amounts of carbs for each person and different amounts at different times of day.....

Me: breakfast - 3 units for 10g
lunch - 2 units for 10 g
dinner - 1.5 units for 10g

These ratios can be established by testing all the time basically.....

There are courses out there that can teach you......

Hi Paul,

How long have you been on set doses?

I cant believe people are still treating diabetes this way, not a go at you by the way, just the system, you need to ask about ratios and carb counting. Do you have a good dsn or team you can ask for help?

There will be others along, to send links and give more information for you. I did DAFNE which is a course for type ones, it stands for dose adjustment for normal eating. Basically you eat what you want when you want and give boluses accordingly.

Hi Paul

You've got it absolutely right. To be honest, most of the time I eat fairly similar quantities of carbs for each meal (my appetite is usually pretty similar). I also find it makes the whole thing a bit easier not to eat wildly different amounts all the time.

But (and it's a biggie) it is hugely helpful to get an understanding of how your body deals with carbs with the insulin you inject. That way when you are starving, eating out, at a wedding buffet or whatever you can alter your doses accordingly.

Taking the example of your breakfast... 2x Weetabix is about 30g carbs I think (it says on the box as its the standard serving). Assuming you don't have fruit and/or any sugar on them you'd allow a little for the milk, say 5g and you end up with 35g for breakfast. For this you take 6 units.

So in the mornings your ratio would appear to be around 2u :10g carbs

If you had another bisk you'd be up to nearer 50g so you might think about a 10u dose.

That's the basic idea anyway. Often it's just a bit of trial and error and a whole lot more testing after meals to make sure you aren't going high/hypo.

You may want to discuss this with your DSN to get some basics.

Alternatively there's an online carb counting course run by BDEC
http://www.bdec-e-learning.com/

Everything has been said. But I do recommend the website Everydayupsandowns has put up for you. I found it very useful.🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back