insulin dilemma

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cehu

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi,This morning when i did my insulin,it didn't all go in, now my sugar is rising and not sure what to do. x

Hi,This morning when i did my insulin,it didn't all go in, now my sugar is rising and not sure what to do. x
What do you mean by it didn’t all go in? Did you count to 10? It’s normal to see a drip after the needle is withdrawn.

What do you mean by it didn’t all go in? Did you count to 10? It’s normal to see a drip after the needle is withdrawn.
Yes; I did the count ,but I must have had the needle at a funny angle so i didn't realise it hadn't gone in until i had finished! Now I'm unsure whether to leave it until tonights dose is due, or apply a bit more!?

Which insulin are you concerned about?
As you mention tonight's dose, I assumer you mean basal.
Are you able to do a correction bolus to stop you going too high until then?
In your position, I would not know how much more to apply so would not do so.

Yes; I did the count ,but I must have had the needle at a funny angle so i didn't realise it hadn't gone in until i had finished! Now I'm unsure whether to leave it until tonights dose is due, or apply a bit more!?

If you mean basal insulin, I would definitely not inject more. I’d correct with fast-acting insulin as needed.

Which insulin are you concerned about?
As you mention tonight's dose, I assumer you mean basal.
Are you able to do a correction bolus to stop you going too high until then?
In your position, I would not know how much more to apply so would not do so.
I am a newly diagonosed diabetic,so i don;t know what basal is,I am on hummeli pen if that helps,but I think maybe your'e right and I shouldn't re=inject, thankyou all for replying,

I am a newly diagonosed diabetic,so i don;t know what basal is,I am on hummeli pen if that helps,but I think maybe your'e right and I shouldn't re=inject, thankyou all for replying,

Basal is the slow-acting background insulin. There are a number of types of Humulin. Which one are you on - ie the full name including any letters or numbers @Cehu ?

I’m presuming you meant to write “Humulin” there but if you meant “Humalog” then the same applies. Give the full name including any letters or numbers.

Basal is the slow-acting background insulin. There are a number of types of Humulin. Which one are you on - ie the full name including any letters or numbers @Cehu ?
Its the hummulinI KwikPen

Its the hummulinI KwikPen

Ok - I think you mean Humulin i (small letter i not the number 1). If you do, that’s a basal/background/slow insulin. Presumably you take it twice a day, so just leave it until your evening dose and then take your normal evening dose at the normal time. Test your blood sugar regularly to keep an eye on things.

You’re showing as a Type 1. The normal insulin regime for Type 1s is two different types of insulin - a basal/slow one to tick along in the background, and a fast/bolus/meal one to deal with the food you eat.

If you’ve only been prescribed the basal insulin, that could be part of the reason your blood sugar is high. In addition, when people are newly diagnosed, they’re usually started on conservative doses of insulin in order to avoid hypos.

How high is your blood sugar?

sorry one m

Ok - I think you mean Humulin i (small letter i not the number 1). If you do, that’s a basal/background/slow insulin. Presumably you take it twice a day, so just leave it until your evening dose and then take your normal evening dose at the normal time. Test your blood sugar regularly to keep an eye on things.
Yes it's exactly that. And yes I take it Morning and Evening ;Thankyou, I will do just that, ::;and keep a check throughout the day.😉

You’re showing as a Type 1. The normal insulin regime for Type 1s is two different types of insulin - a basal/slow one to tick along in the background, and a fast/bolus/meal one to deal with the food you eat.

If you’ve only been prescribed the basal insulin, that could be part of the reason your blood sugar is high. In addition, when people are newly diagnosed, they’re usually started on conservative doses of insulin in order to avoid hypos.

How high is your blood sugar?
Hi; yes I'm type 1,and it has both as you described, it went up 13plus, but it has now dropped to 2.9 so iv'e had a milky drink and a biscuit and it seems to have levelled out to 5, I was careless this morning not putting needle in correctly,,, lesson learnt,

It’s easily done @Cehu Sometimes the injection just doesn’t go as well as it could. For hypos (and 2.9 is definitely a hypo), something fast-acting is best, eg Dextro glucose tablets, jelly babies, regular (sugary) Coke. Then follow that up, as you did, with slower acting carbs like a digestive biscuit, etc.

Do you have the Libre sensor? (the one that you put in your arm and scan with a reader or phone)? If not, do push for one. All Type 1s are entitled to one.

If you already have the Libre, set your Low alarm to something like 4.5 or 5 so you can ward off hypos in good time.

Have you only been given one type of insulin so far @Cehu ?

That would be slightly unusual in the UK (but not unheard of).

Perhaps things are slightly different in Spain?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back