Insulin Correction Factor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sharp00782

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi All,

I am trying to use the MySugr App in relation to correcting for what I eat. It is asking me for my "insulin correction factor" in mmol/L and also "Carbs / Insulin Ration" in grams. How do I work these out?

Thanks in advance.

Hi again

Really you should ask your medical team to help you with this, however if they’ve not been much help then carb ratio usually starts off about 1:10 and insulin correction factor about 1:3, although these can vary a lot from person to person. You’ve already told me on your other thread that your carb one is 1:15, is that just what was in the app to start with or has your doctor or DSN told you to use that one?

There is a calculation you can do to get an approximation, firstly work out your total daily dose of insulin (this includes the total of your basal and all boluses, so the total number of units of all insulin of any type that you take in one day). 500/TDD will give you your carb ratio (1:whatever) and 100/TDD will give you your correction factor. These are only approximate, they are good starting points though and then you tweak it from there if it isn’t quite working right.
But if you’ve been given advice from your diabetes team to do something different then stick with that!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back