Insulin cooler travel cases for our holiday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Austin Mini

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
This year I’m thinking of backing up my Frio travel pouch and investing in a metal Insulin cooler travel case. I need to cary three disposable pens two Humalog and one Lantus. Has anybody tried using one of these metal travel cases and if so which can you recommend please? Daytime travelling to the beach and evening restaurants I would pack the Frio pouch.

I have no experience of the metal travel cases but I am wondering why you feel you need to back up Frio.
I have used Frio in some very hot climates with no access to a fridge for days and my insulin has been fine. For example, when trekking and camping in India.

I would also recommend requesting reusable pens rather than the disposable ones?
I have always had reusable pens which are more robust and the cartridges take up less space in my luggage when traveling as well as in the fridge.

This year I’m thinking of backing up my Frio travel pouch and investing in a metal Insulin cooler travel case. I need to cary three disposable pens two Humalog and one Lantus. Has anybody tried using one of these metal travel cases and if so which can you recommend please? Daytime travelling to the beach and evening restaurants I would pack the Frio pouch.
I’d suggest not taking two humalog pens and a Lantus pen to the beach. Just take the ones you’ll need whilst out, in a frio.

I’d suggest not taking two humalog pens and a Lantus pen to the beach. Just take the ones you’ll need whilst out, in a frio.
Yes that’s what I planned the container is for the traveling to our destination.

Yes that’s what I planned the container is for the traveling to our destination.
Just put them all in the frio for that part. Curious as to why you trust the frio on a beach but you don’t trust it whilst travelling, when the travelling part is most likely already room temperature and so doesn’t even need a frio, whilst the beach is warmer and actually needs the frio

Just put them all in the frio for that part. Curious as to why you trust the frio on a beach but you don’t trust it whilst travelling, when the travelling part is most likely already room temperature and so doesn’t even need a frio, whilst the beach is warmer and actually needs the frio
We travel from Birmingham to Dubai to Auckland to see my family it’s a good 24 hours in the air the insulin cooler can keep it cool for 60 hours with the gell insert but the Frio needs a top up between Dubai and Auckland 17 hours in the air. Last time Emirates put the Frio in their fridge but you risk it disappearing as you are one in 600 aboard that Airbus.

I have no experience of the metal travel cases but I am wondering why you feel you need to back up Frio.
I have used Frio in some very hot climates with no access to a fridge for days and my insulin has been fine. For example, when trekking and camping in India.

I would also recommend requesting reusable pens rather than the disposable ones?
I have always had reusable pens which are more robust and the cartridges take up less space in my luggage when traveling as well as in the fridge.
I have been prescribed both reusable cartridge and single use pens but as it’s only a two week snorkelling holiday reusable pens are handier.

We travel from Birmingham to Dubai to Auckland to see my family it’s a good 24 hours in the air the insulin cooler can keep it cool for 60 hours with the gell insert but the Frio needs a top up between Dubai and Auckland 17 hours in the air. Last time Emirates put the Frio in their fridge but you risk it disappearing as you are one in 600 aboard that Airbus.
If your frio is going flat in 24hrs it’s defective. But you don’t need a frio on the plane anyway since the plane is already room temperature and the purpose of the frio is to keep insulin at room temperature anyway

If your frio is going flat in 24hrs it’s defective. But you don’t need a frio on the plane anyway since the plane is already room temperature and the purpose of the frio is to keep insulin at room temperature anyway
But my spare insulin’s that live in my fridge won’t like room temperature for long that’s the idea of the travel cooler.

But my spare insulin’s that live in my fridge won’t like room temperature for long that’s the idea of the travel cooler.
I am confused about what you are trying to achieve as insulin is fine out of the fridge for 30 days.
As @Lucyr mentions, you do not need to cool it during your flight and, in Dubai, you will be in air conditioned airport all the time.
If you trust the fridge (I would certainly not trust a fridge on the plane and am dubious about some hotel fridges), you can return your insulin to to a fridge on arrival in Aukland and have just lost a day of "use" next time you take it out.

They’re fine out of the fridge for 30 days. It’s not going to take you 30 days to get there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back