Insulin and travel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charl

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Travelling abroad next week by plane, will be carrying my insulin etc in my hand luggage, do I need proof at security to show that its my insulin and that I'm the user, if so what do I need and where do I get it.Thanks

It is very very rare for airport security to ask for proof of your insulin.
However, it is recommended to have a letter from your doctor/consultant/DSN (GPs typically charge for this whereas diabetes teams don't) which states you need to carry all your diabetes paraphernalia with you because you are carrying sharp objects. In nearly twenty years and hundreds of flights, I have only needed this letter twice - once when there was heightened security due to the "shoe bomber" and once when my insulin pen showed up on the x-ray as a suspicious object.
I still carry my very tatty letter with me (it lives with my passport) as insurance in case I am asked as for the sake of a piece of paper I like to have the insurance. I know others travel without such a letter. I believe they carry a copy of their prescription (although mine is now electronic).

I do not show my letter or offer details about my medical condition unless I am asked - it is none of their business.

Have contacted my GP regarding it but no reply ( more inportant things to do) think I have a paper prescription somewhere ,will carry that.thanks

I have a dodgy face o_O so have been asked to show my doctor's letter more often than not. I always take a photocopy of my latest prescription too, just in case (I've been told this is essential in the States).

Have a great trip!

Ye
I have a dodgy face o_O so have been asked to show my doctor's letter more often than not. I always take a photocopy of my latest prescription too, just in case (I've been told this is essential in the States).

Have a great trip!
I’ve never been asked to show the letter but I have always taken it with me. I don’t want to run the risk and would rather have it with me. Also my prescription is all online so I am going to get a copy of it too

I went through airport security at the start of the week and I was asked what my insulin vial was, it was in a clear plastic bag & I was asked what my spare cannulas and reservoirs were and why did I need them . That was on the 4th attempt for my small rucksack and handbag to get through XRay, there was hardly anything in my rucksack but it kept being sent back for another image. I didn't have a GP letter as there wasn't time before travelling but I wasn't asked for a letter.

Hope you have a lovely holiday.

Last edited:
Ye

I’ve never been asked to show the letter but I have always taken it with me. I don’t want to run the risk and would rather have it with me. Also my prescription is all online so I am going to get a copy of it too
Same here. I just adopt my confident and friendly face, smile to the security guards and follow their advice.
Unless there is someone with a bomb in their shoe, they wave me through.

I had a letter once upon a time, but have literally never been asked for it (probably only flown a dozen times to be honest) so I‘ve stopped worry about having one. I’m happy to be very chatty and up front with the security staff, apologising for being the ‘difficult passenger of the day’. 🙂

That is cheap, some letters cost alot more, some used cost alot more, my surgery used have a list on the reception wall.

Would it be ok to take my morning insulin 4 hours earlier than I usually take it, 20 lantus and novo rapid to suit breakfast or will it be to near my previous evening meal dose of novo rapid which is taken around 6.00pm.
Thanks

You can take your bolus at whatever time you eat breakfast.
I would be nervous about taking basal 4 hours early due to the overlap
If you are wanting to accommodate time difference, I would move the time over 2 days - moving it by 2 hours each day. And follow a similar pattern when you move it back to your normal time. I used to find I needed to set an alarm to remember.

So hope I've got this correct, I could take my novorapid say 1.30am with breakfast then take my lantus at the airport before flying say about 5.30am bearing in mind i won't be having anything to eat then, it's only a 3hr flight. Thanks

So hope I've got this correct, I could take my novorapid say 1.30am with breakfast then take my lantus at the airport before flying say about 5.30am bearing in mind i won't be having anything to eat then, it's only a 3hr flight. Thanks
Basal insulin (your Lantus) just deals with the trickle of glucose that your liver puts out 24 hours a day to keep your brain and other vital organs ticking over, it’s not there to deal with food at all, that's what your bolus does. So you can take it at the normal time, even if you’re not eating then.
Your evening meal bolus (novorapid) will be through your system by the time you want to eat breakfast, even at 1.30am. The duration of bolus insulin is around 4-5 hours, just long enough to deal with the food you ate at the last meal.

Hi not sure if this is a sensible thread to add to. I'm not great at searching....
Is it OK to go through an airport body scanner with my libre 2 still in my arm? Anything else that I should be concerned about going through the zapper? I don't have a pump, only needles, lancets, dextrose 😉 etc

Have a great trip!
I regularly travel to the States (I work for a US company). They have never asked to see my prescription or my letter.
Until I had a pump, my diabetes made no difference to them. I have travelled through multiple US airports. Off the top of my head, that includes JFK, Newark, Philly, Washington Dulles, Houston, Miami, Orlando, and more.
The only problem I ever had was when o dared to suggest England was a country!
Hi not sure if this is a sensible thread to add to. I'm not great at searching....
Is it OK to go through an airport body scanner with my libre 2 still in my arm? Anything else that I should be concerned about going through the zapper? I don't have a pump, only needles, lancets, dextrose 😉 etc
I have never had a problem with Libre with airport scanner.
Needles, lancets, etc are too small to be seen on airport security X-rays so are no concern.
If you talk to someone when you check in (it is rare now but you may go to the desk to drop your bag), they may ask if you have anything sharp in your hand luggage. This is the only time I mention I have needles for diabetes. They are happy with this.
As for the zapper. No problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back