Insulin and pizza

Status
Not open for further replies.

Finwiz

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
He/Him
Am new on insulin. I appreciate pizza is loaded with carbs but occasionally I have a craving for it! Is there such a thing as low carb / "diabetic" pizza pizza in supermarkets? There is always the option of home baking.

@Finwiz, the carbs in a pizza are at least reasonably straightforward to count, even if excessive for your needs. The somewhat bigger challenge with pizza, for those of us on a bolus / basal insulin regime, is all of the fat and oil from the cooked pizza changing the ability of our metabolism to digest the pizza in a predictable way. So sometimes the carbs finally arrive as glucose into our blood stream well after the insulin has arrived and fully dissipated.

I'm not clear from a hasty look back at your posts what insulin (s) you are taking. If you are taking a single basal insulin then my remarks about timing is not relevant to you; your body will deal with your pizza as best it can. Reduced portion size may keep pizza tolerable or it could just become a food to avoid, for you.

Home baking, using low carb flour replacements should be a good alternative.

Pizza might be one of those meals that could benefit from you eating a high fibre starter. The theory is that the fibre lines your colon, thus inhibits or at least reduces a possible glucose spike. This could be something you experiment with, if you are still periodically using Libre 2. I think this sort of fine tuning is so much better done by looking at a L2 graph and seeing over an 8-12 window the cause and effect. Trying to so this from finger pricking would need a steady commitment over the 8+ hours and lots of fingers and strips!

Since a pizza base is inherently carbacious, you might want to look for a very thin-based pizza.
But if what you crave is the carbs and the fat, that is not going to satisfy your urgings...

@Finwiz,

I'm not clear from a hasty look back at your posts what insulin (s) you are taking. If you are taking a single basal insulin then my remarks about timing is not relevant to you; your body will deal with your pizza as best it can. Reduced portion size may keep pizza tolerable or it could just become a food to avoid, for you.

@Finwiz,

Am on once a day Abasaglar basal long lasting insulin. I am trying out Libre 2 CGM and effect of types of food I eat. Trying a pizza, "rocketed" the sugars. after a pizza. I tested with a finger prick as well and both were high.

The option may be a home made pizza with low carb flour.

Am on once a day Abasaglar basal long lasting insulin. I am trying out Libre 2 CGM and effect of types of food I eat. Trying a pizza, "rocketed" the sugars. after a pizza. I tested with a finger prick as well and both were high.

The option may be a home made pizza with low carb flour.
I haven't seen mention in a while but some people were using something called fathead dough for making pizza.

In addition to the FatHead pizza, I have seen people using alternatives to dough for the base such as adding pizza toppings to slices of butternut squash

As more lazy options, you could buy (or make) conventional pizza dough and just make the pizzas smaller. You can also buy small pizza bases.

As more lazy options, you could buy (or make) conventional pizza dough and just make the pizzas smaller. You can also buy small pizza bases.
I agree with this. The easiest way to halve the carbs in a pizza, without altering the taste, is simply to eat half of the pizza.

Not sure if it works with pizza but the resistant starch effect could get you another couple of mouthfuls at a no carb cost.

Can't vouch for the taste though!

Don't start me on pizza, it's my nemesis and have never managed to bolus right for it. When I have pizza, and I will have pizza, I just accept the rest of the day or evening is a write off!

Use a chicken breast as the base - slice it down one side and open it out, flatten it, cook it, then add your toppings and put it under the grill. Whatever cheese/meat/veg you add you will end up with a pizza which is almost completely no carb.

I find pizza ok. I buy supermarket ‘posh’ ones (ie Finest, Best or whatever they call their range) and usually bolus for it all upfront and my blood sugar stays ok. If I do split my bolus,I put most of it upfront.

I find pizza ok. I buy supermarket ‘posh’ ones (ie Finest, Best or whatever they call their range) and usually bolus for it all upfront and my blood sugar stays ok. If I do split my bolus,I put most of it upfront.

Unfortunately being on once a day insulin, this upfront does not work for me!

Unfortunately being on once a day insulin, this upfront does not work for me!

Ah, you’re on basal only! So, you’d either need to have a small portion (ie a small slice if a thin pizza) or a low carb one.

Ah, you’re on basal only! So, you’d either need to have a small portion (ie a small slice if a thin pizza) or a low carb one.

I consider it as a once in a while treat - very difficult to stop otherwise:(

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back