insulin and doctors

neil2

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Last Monday 25 September I put a prescription for insulin and BM cassettes it was ignored I put another one in yesterday I've been type 1 for 40 years and it's never happened before has this happened to anyone else many thanks.

Most practices will only let you have a dozen or so repeats before they need to review you, so check whether you have hit the limit. The idea is to check whether you still need your medications in the same doses so that you aren’t hoarding medications which you maybe don’t need any more. Which we all agree is a bit ridiculous for type 1s on insulin, but some practices don’t seem to be able to override their computer systems. Normally when it happens to us i just phone them or put in a request online and they will reset it without actually doing the review, as my daughter clearly still needs it!

Last Monday 25 September I put a prescription for insulin and BM cassettes it was ignored I put another one in yesterday I've been type 1 for 40 years and it's never happened before has this happened to anyone else many thanks.
Hello, a while back. I ordered online. Gave it a few days. Went to the chemist & they hadn’t had the order. Then a locum who was signing it off called me & enquired how I manage my diabetes. Once she was satisfied, I had my prescription. I always order early. It was strange, because I’ve had recent check ups & reviews & she could see the results her end?

I order my repeat prescriptions via the NHS app.
This allows me to see when the request has been approved and sent to the pharmacist.
If there is a delay (more than 3 days), I give the surgery a call in the afternoon (to avoid the morning rush) and they will get it approved.

My pharmacy text me when the prescription is ready to pick up.
They have had it for more than 5 days, I pop down (thankfully they are a short walk from home where I work) to see if there is a problem.

I agree it is frustrating that we have to keep tabs on them but, thankfully, it is rare and usually due to shortages in insulin rather than a GP problem.
Like others, I try to order in plenty of time so I don't risk running out.

Oh I've had this problem.My old GP practice said I should use the NHS app to get my repeat prescriptions and yet my new GP practice is telling me I can't. So I have to them and write down what I need....it's absolutely ridiculous.

How I wish I could hoard insulin rather than sticking 5 needles a day every day in to my self thanks for the replies.

How frustrating for you @neil2 :(

If you have been using the Accuchek Mobile, you may need to update or upgrade your prescription, as the Mobile has been discontinued in the UK. there were some remaining stocks of cassettes, but I’d imagine those may run out at some point

How I wish I could hoard insulin rather than sticking 5 needles a day every day in to my self thanks for the replies
I appreciate you have an issue at the moment with supplies.
However, under normal circumstances, are you able to order earlier?
For example, I would order insulin cartridges when I took the penultimate one out of a box of 5. This gave me a couple of weeks supply without hoarding and filling up my fridge.

My injection of levemir a day is 2 injections of 44 units morning an night I also have 3 injections of 24 units of novorapid.

My injection of levemir a day is 2 injections of 44 units morning a night I also have 3 injections of 24 units of novorapid.
The insulin you need is what you need. If you put in a second prescription on Thursday. I would contact the GP & your pick up chemist on Monday (this being the weekend.) to at least check it’s being processed? Best wishes.

Do use either the NHS App or your surgery online system such as Systmonline or PatientAccess for ordering and tracking. It's NHS policy for everyone to use the NHS app so any surgery advice not to is completely wrong. Note that the NHS App uses your surgery system for your details so insist that you have access to the surgery system first and use it (or the NHS App). Complain to your ICB if your new surgery resists and discuss with the surgery PPG.

Back