Insulin & Airport security

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dizzydi

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Going to be flying soon and it will be my first time travelling with my insulin.

I was wondering if anyone could tell me if I need a letter from the GP or anything when checking in and going through security?

Thanks in advance all you lovely's 😱

I was on a domestic flight the other week and just took my prescription with me. When asked if I had any liquids I just told them I had insulin and they said 'that's fine'. Remember to carry it in your hand luggage - it will be spoiled in the hold! If flying abroad, probably worth getting a letter from DSN (they don't normally charge but GPs do)

I read somewhere that it is advised to carry a note from your doctor to the effect that you are insulin dependant and that insulin should always be carried in your hand luggage and NOT with your luggage .

p.s I think someone posted quite recently about the fact they had gone to there gp and the gp wanted ?15-?20 for the letter cant quite remember but when seeing there DSN they would wuite happily do it free of charge, so ask DSN for sure.

Last edited:
I got a letter from my dsn, no charge, no date so can use it every time.

Just to say i was insulin dependant diabetic and using an insulin pump, and therefore carry insulin, needles, blood testing equipment etc

no one was interested or wanted to see my letter 🙂

Yes You Need A Letter And Usually They Are Going To Empty The All Bag With All Your Diabetic Kit They Have Done It With Graham Bag I Took About 30 Minutes To Put Every Back In !

i always take a letter stating i am type 1 and need to carry insulin, needles etc. i've only ever had to show it once though (leaving the US, they scanned my handluggage twice so i thought it was worth showing them the letter!)

definitely ask your DSN/hospital rather than GP to save on the charge.

I've been to India and back; nobody looked at my letter and nobody asked me about my insulin. BUT it only takes one person to ask.... so have one with you.
My hospital diabetes nurse wrote one for me. She didn't charge.

Having worked for a major American carrier in the past I would suggest getting a letter from your GP or DSN. Most of the time you won't have any problem with security but it is better to have documented proof that you are diabetic and are on insulin with you incase you get an over zealous security agent.

Diabetes UK did ( and may still) a form you could buy (I can't remember how much -though I don't think it would have beend more than ?3 or ?4 - as mine is now so old). You took it to the doctors along with a passport photo and got your GP to sign it. You then put the sticky plastic over the whole thing and ended up with a sort of "I am a diabetic..." etc. in a number of languages which has a photo on it. So far, I have never needed it at an airport, though I think I used it as photo ID once in the Post Office to pick up a parcel. 😱 😱 😱

I am flying soon to, got a cover note off my dsn for free, when my doc was charging 20 for it😱

The two times I've flown out of the country I've never had any trouble. Once to Germany and once to France. Never had a letter on either occaision.

hmm wonder if edinburgh was where di was flying to on the 17th, if it was i think she may still be in Stockport.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back