InsulCheck for Novo Flexpen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lanny

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I’ve been using Timesulin caps for my Novorapid & Levemir flexpens for a few years now & the problem with them is that the batteries aren’t replaceable so, I need to buy new caps every year. Was looking at the Diabetes UK online shop & saw these that have replaceable batteries in them.

Has anyone used them, are they any good & how long do the batteries last before replacemment? They’re very expensive, even with VAT relief as a diabetic, but, it’ll be great to just replace the batteries instead of buying another one every year!

Could you see if you could get the reusable Novopens with the insulin dose thing on the top (sorry - I’ve forgotten the name, might be Echo??) instead? That way you wouldn’t have to buy any special caps or batteries and the pens themselves are more robust.

Novopen 5 is what I have, increments in 1 unit, Novopen Echo increments in 0.5 unit (which is what I would have preferred for QA).
But batteries again cannot be replaced, don't know how long they last.

The newer ones have a battery life of approx 5 years @Fagor I saw something online a while ago.

The newer ones have a battery life of approx 5 years @Fagor I saw something online a while ago.
While they say 5 years mines is temperamental after less than 2, often choosing to display 2 dashes after dosing rather than what I've dosed 🙄 xx

hile they say 5 years mines is temperamental after less than 2, often choosing to display 2 dashes after dosing rather than what I've dosed 🙄 xx
I think it may depend how long after manufacture you get it and start using it. So if it has been sitting in a warehouse or on a pharmacy shelf for a year or so before it finds it's way to you then there will likely already have been some drain on the battery, before you start using it.

@Lanny I agree with @Inka that you should push for reusable pens, especially considering that you use quite large doses so will be going through a lot of disposable pens. It may well work out cheaper for your NHS trust in the long run as well as certainly being better for the environment.

Have looked at the website and fail to see why someone would use one unless they were taking timed doses as opposed to "as required" by testing and carb intake. I still use a printed log sheet to track my DM even though I really don't need to these days.

Happy to be informed if I've missed something but it looks like a cap with a timer to replace the cap on your Novo Flexpen

@Robert459 it can be handy if you forget if you have done your insulin or not as it tells you how long since the cap was last removed xx

@Robert459 I also find it useful to use these to calculate insulin on board if I need to take a correction dose.
I know there is a fear of "insulin stacking" but, by calculating the insulin on board, I am able to make a correction less than 4 hours after my last bolus. This is useful when I have had to carb guess when I do not have packets containing the exact carb contents or when stress has caused my levels to rise.

I wish life with Type 1 was a simple as adding up carbs in a meal and dialling up the insulin dose but with so many other things which can affect blood sugars it is much more complex when living a full and eventful life.

@Robert459 I congratulate you if you don’t have any of those 'senior moments' that I have, when you’re standing there with the pen in your hand and someone has just interrupted you, or the veg has just boiled over, and you turn back to the pen thinking, did I didn’t I? My Echo has saved me many a time!

@Robert459 I congratulate you if you don’t have any of those 'senior moments' that I have, when you’re standing there with the pen in your hand and someone has just interrupted you, or the veg has just boiled over, and you turn back to the pen thinking, did I didn’t I? My Echo has saved me many a time!
I injected and pulled the needle out once after being distracted by my mum and I panicked thinking did I take extra there by mistake, thankfully I had the option to check and I had in fact taken too much but was able to avoid a hypo due to being able to check xx

Ah, OK, I understand how it could help with missing a dose, although not if you took the cap off but forgot to dial the dose and actually inject. My simplistic method, I line up the needle covers next to the manual log sheet so can see that the two match. I do occasionally forget if I actually injected but seeing the needle covers is a physical count.

My Echo has saved me many a time
Now that is neat. Didn't know that even existed, but when the pen itself records time and dose and can be read using NFC, then that makes sense. When first diagnosed had a 'dumb' pen using cartridges but got switched to disposable pens and just seemed easier. Echo sounds like the right way to add tech function to an insulin delivery device.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back