Instructions: Downgrading Google Pixel (5 and others) to Android 11 for Dexcom G6

Status
Not open for further replies.

csjjpm

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
Hi,
I'm posting this as I've had to do it twice now. My son was diagnosed in September and of course one of the few compatible phones, the Google Pixel, comes with the latest (unsupported) OS. I'm an avid android flasher so it took me about 30 mins to work this out.
Once downgraded to Android 11 I was able to pair with the Dexcom G6 transmitter. My son then accidentally upgraded to Android 13 and that transmitter remained paired and worked. It has now expired after 90 days. I am trying to pair a new transmitter and it won't pair.
Follow these rough instructions to downgrade your Pixel 5 (6 and 7) to Android 11.

BEFORE YOU DO THIS - BACKUP EVERYTHING (sync your Google user account, photos, WhatsApp etc...). I won't be responsible for anyone who hasn't backed up. This process WILL ERASE THE PHONE.

**PLEASE POST MESSAGES BEFORE YOU START IF YOU ARE UNSURE

1.) enable Developer Mode
In the phone menus find the option 'build number' it is in 'About Phone'. Tap 'build number' 7 times and a message will say you are now a developer
about-phone.png
build-number.png

2.) enable OEM unlocking
Now in the menus find 'Developer Options' and find the option 'OEM Unlocking' and enable it, you may get a warning message
oem-unlocking.png
3.) Power off the phone

4.) Start in fastboot mode
Hold the volume down and the power button at the same time and this screen will appear
fastboot.png
Download the Windows drivers for your phone from here
https://developer.android.com/studio/run/oem-usb
Run and install these drivers in Windows.
Once that installation is complete connect your phone by USB to your Windows PC.

5.) Go to this Google web page and find your model of phone
https://developers.google.com/android/images
Look down the list on the right to find your model
choose-model.png

6.) Now find the latest version of Android 11 OS for your model. This is the Pixel 5 version
choose-version.png

7.)
You will get a number of boxes to follow
allow-adb.png
Select your connected phone
select-device.png
From the list click on your phone
pixel-device.png

Your phone is selected, tick 'Wipe device' and click the 'Install Build'
install-build.png

8.) DO NOT DISCONNECT THE PHONE while this is happenning. This will take 5 - 10 mins and then you will be give a completion screen and you can reboot your phone.

Make sure your laptop is powered on so you don't lose connection.

**PLEASE POST MESSAGES BEFORE YOU START IF YOU ARE UNSURE

*Note1: you can disable 'auto system updates' in the Developer Options. This means you can manually choose what updates to make, perhaps just in version security ones e.g. 11.0.1
*Note2: if you manage your child's device using Google Family Link then you cannot easily make the change in note 1. A workaround is to disable the notification for 'system updates' so that child doesn't see it and tell them not to accept Android updates 🙂

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back