Insensitive comment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pigeon

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I've got a new job! Doing the same as I do now, but relocating to the midlands to be nearer to family. I've got to wait for CRB and health clearance before I can hand in my notice though.

I was talking about this at lunch with my colleagues yesterday and one joked that I needed an occupational health check that my health hadn't deteriorated in the 5 years I've been in Newcastle because of the stereotypical pie-eating and boozing lifestyle up here. Then a rather insensitive person blurted out "Well you have deteriorated since you've been here" meaning I got diabetes. I was just a bit hurt at the time and came back with "well, thanks, I think you've deteriorated too!" but afterwards I thought of loads of things I could have said, always the way!

I know the occ health check will be fine, I've had 2 days off sick in 3 years and not one day off caused by diabetes since I first got diagnosed, but I was just cheesed off that one person feels the need to put me down in front of everyone else.

There's always one, isn't there?! 🙄 I thought you're type 1 though, autoimmune, so nowt to do with pie comsumption even if you had been 'living the lifestyle'? (Never mind the whole debate about t2's & cause/effect - I know three type 2 diabetics off this forum & 2 of those have always been racing snake build & athletic!!!) Guess the person who made that comment has just shown their own ignorance & pettiness - they are probably just jealous that you are moving up & on! 🙂 Don't let them get you down... and by the way - congrats on the new job!! :D

Great news on the job - first class - well done

If that was the quality of the people you worked with, then you are best off without them.

Chuffed for you pet

Hi pigeon well done on the new job great news, people like that are best out of your life anyways, good luck with the move and all .

p.s im off to tuck into a pie and a pint 😉:D

Thanks for the enthusiasm, ladies! Steff, do you know, I just realised I celebrated the job offer with a pint and then, erm, a pie. It was a Tesco Finest filo pastry pie, highly recommended!

Well put Hazel, I really like most of my current colleagues but this one does tend to speak before thinking... don't know why I let her get to me. Won't be a problem in a few months!

Steff, do you know, I just realised I celebrated the job offer with a pint and then, erm, a pie. It was a Tesco Finest filo pastry pie, highly recommended!
cant get better then that hun x :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations - and don't worry, plenty of good beer, pies and a few ParkRuns in the Midlands, too 🙂

p.s im off to tuck into a pie and a pint 😉:D[/QUOTE]

and don't forget the pigeons and flat caps. Us north east girls get use to stupid comments like that dont' we Steffie

p.s im off to tuck into a pie and a pint 😉:D

and don't forget the pigeons and flat caps. Us north east girls get use to stupid comments like that dont' we Steffie[/QUOTE]

wahey pet we sure dee :D

i lived in the north east (newcastle) for 7 years whilst at Uni and my failing was the steak sandwich in the pub with a bottle of brun ..😉 but it was sooooooocold up there once that wind came off the north sea and it was soooseriouly strong ! and no heating 😱...

good luck with new job ...i ve just started one aswell and my CRB came in 3 weeks and they said it would take 6..... my employeers decided to start me anyway as although the CRB are none transferrable i did have one in the last 3 years ..

Good news about your job, well done.

As for the person who made the remark, if they do it often enough, they will soon find they have no friends.

Congratulations on the new job.

People can be quite insensitive - when I was first diagnosed someone said they wished they had diabetes as they could do with losing some weight ...... I don't think they had a clue what they were saying.

Congratulations on the new job, hope everything goes well for you.

Aww, thanks for the enthusiasm about the new job guys! I do love Newcastle, but it's just so far from most people we know, so it'll be good to be nearer to a lot of friends and family.

... and don't forget the pigeons and flat caps. Us north east girls get use to stupid comments like that dont' we Steffie
Pigeons and flat caps? Isn't that yorkie and lancs lasses? :confused: I thought the geordie gals were more fond of mini-skirts, bare legs and no coat whilst oot on da toon in sub-zero temperatures. Or do I have it wrong? 😎

Pigeons and flat caps? Isn't that yorkie and lancs lasses? :confused: I thought the geordie gals were more fond of mini-skirts, bare legs and no coat whilst oot on da toon in sub-zero temperatures. Or do I have it wrong? 😎

spot on 😛🙂

You forgot the jet black hair and satsuma tan's!! haha XxXxX

Ah, but Geordie Racer (80s BBC Look and Read series) was about pigeon racing. Actually, as you come through Gateshead on the train you pass a load of pigeon lofts, its like an indicator that you have reached the North.

The whole not-wearing-a-coat thing is something I've never got the hang of while I've lived here... it's just too cold!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back