Inputting hypo treatment carbs into pump?

Wutanga1

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
Hello all! So a quick question - my kid uses a 780g and G4 sensor, we have noticed that when we don't tell the pump that we have given hypo treatment (which is almost always) when the SG rises at a fast clip due to the hypo treatment, the pump *sometimes* gives it a whack with basal + autocorrection, and *sometimes* this ends up in a repeat hypo. Is there any sense in putting in the hypo treatment number in the pump so the pump *knows* that, say, 10g or 15g of carbs are now onboard (we have hesitated to do this as sometimes, when the SG is down to levels like 3, it still proposes some kind of bolus rather than a 0 number, which we find a bit scary when a hypo is already going on). How do people handle this - do you put the hypo treatment numbers into the pump or leave it?

I am using the same system as your child.
I know that if we have a hypo we are told not to enter those carbs, and like you I have found a bounce back by a correction being applied by the automated system.

I cannot give medical advice so it is important that you check with your team. This is just a strategy that I have found works for me - If I get a pre hypo warning I will tell the pump what I use to head of the hypo.
If I have gone into a hypo I do not tell the pump the correction carbs I use (my amount of carbs used depends on the BG levels and arrows) I then set a temp target for an hour, which stops the pump doing automated corrections.

I still find if I have a hypo when I am busy it is hard to stop and be patient and give myself time to recover. In these circumstance I sometimes over treat the hypo and still get a bounce back down later due to later corrections.

If only Diabetes knew how to behave!!!!!

If this is happening with any frequency (I haven’t had this on the MM780 yet, but I DID get it on the tSlim) as I understand it there are 3 levers you can pull…

Set the overall BG target to one of the higher values (6.x rather than 5.x).

Or

Adjust insulin sensitivity / correction factor so that the pump knows its corrections have been over-reaching and to use less insulin to correct

Or

(probably the easiest of this is only an occasional occurrence)… put a temp target on for 30 mins after a hypo treatment. This should prevent any over-enthusiastic corrections happening until BG is safely raised.

Thanks for this! Happened again last night (a hypo I mean), and we used temp target for 30 mins, it helped not to have the pump hit the hypo treatment on the head - there was no recurrent hypo and it all went back to range easily.

Great to hear @Wutanga1

It's funny how you have to learn behaviours/tactics to help an algorithm work more effectively for you.

I've been gradually making changes and experiments since switching to the MM780G over the summer and it's amazing how much better the system works for me when I know what it needs me to tell it (which is sometimes a slightly adjusted version from what I think is actually happening / my experience with other systems)

Thanks for this! Happened again last night (a hypo I mean), and we used temp target for 30 mins, it helped not to have the pump hit the hypo treatment on the head - there was no recurrent hypo and it all went back to range easily.
Very pleased that this strategy worked for you too.
It is a bit of a juggling act.

Back