Input on changing pump setting when increasing exercise

Status
Not open for further replies.

HelenM

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1.5 LADA
I'm getting further into my training for the London Marathon now and increasing my mileage. During the first 2 weeks of Jan I ran about 50 miles. My glucose levels were erratic (count the hypos :() On getting back to France I had a mild bug and a really horrid, long lasting night hypo (the last on the graph) and ended up having very lazy week with almost no exercise, The graph for this week shows all but one reading on target and that was high.

The only pattern is that I often go low about 5 hours after running, but I think I'm probably just running too low overall (but then I've had more spikes than normal too!) There is no point testing basals, this week shows they are fine and I can't fast and run. My mileage has got to get back on track and it will increase over the next 2 months. Suggestions please!

Attachments

• Jan 1.JPG
    Jan 1.JPG
    30.3 KB · Views: 44
  • jan 2.JPG
    jan 2.JPG
    15.7 KB · Views: 44
It's normal for people to go low several hours after exercise, as the body replenishes its glucose stores. A temp basal should sort that out.

When you say you think you are running 'too low' - how do you mean? If you can keep between 4 and 7 when running that's the aim of the diabetes game really! Obviously, you don't want to be dodging hypos every few minutes, so if you can find a regime that keeps you 'up' enough whilst staying within range then go for it.

I'm only thinking outloud here, but as you run for longer distances/lengths of time, I would imagine it would take longer for the body to replenish those stores.

Have you been on the runsweet website? I'm sure there is another member on here who is also doing distance running?

Just wanted to also wish you best of luck for the run 🙂 are you running for a charity?

Hi shiv,
No I didn't word that well.... I think I mean my levels had become too low overall . I use a temp basal for exercise and I think I've got that OK during exercise... although there have been a few times when I've had to delay running until I'd eaten something because I was too low to run. The hypos happen regularly at five hours but also erratically at other times of the day.

Just wanted to also wish you best of luck for the run are you running for a charity?
Thanks
I'm not sure whether to attempt to raise any money. .. living here in France I'm not really in the best position. If I do it will probably be either for JDFR or Arthritis research.

Last edited:
My experience, albeit of cycling and skating on MDI, shows something along the following lines in terms of insulin sensitivity and correction. Bear in mind IANAE and that my exercise will be considerably lower in intensity than your running, but probably of longer duration. My impression is that long duration and low intensity seems to have a bigger effect on insulin sensitivity, than when I get to the upper edge of aerobic activity, or even start the more intense intervals.

Think of 5 steps in insulin sensitivity:
Step 1 - this is the default when I've not exercised for 3-5 days.
Step 2 - Where I get to after one cycle commute (45 miles) and a couple of hours of skating.
Step 3 - After two consecutive days of exercise.
Step 4 - After three consecutive days of exercise.
Step 5 - After four consecutive days of exercise.

I usually do no more than three days in a row before having a rest day. A rest day takes me back down the ladder by one step, and the next day's exercise back up a step.

I should say again IANAE and that this is my own approximation for what works for my body. And that's fairly roughly, as my control wasn't as good as it should be.

What I used to find when I did exercise, yes, I did used to exercise, was that I needed a 75% temp basal on for about four hours after I'd finished exercising to prevent hypos from occuring. I generally go down to about 10 - 20% of my basal when I'm exercising.

Hope this helps,

Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back