injection with a dress?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chezpez

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Can anyone help? i've got a christmas do at a very posh place and were having a 3 course meal, but i'm wearing a dress.. i inject my stomach normally before each course, does that mean i'll have to wait to see whats on my plate, work out the carbs go to the toilet inject come back and have a luke warm meal 3 times?? I cant think how else i can do it? please help?
xx

Hiya,

Could you use your thigh as a temporary alternative for one night - easy to pull your dress up a bit under the table and no one will notice?

Sometimes in that kind of situation I inject in my stomach through my dress.

Last edited:
Sorry can't offer too much help, the closest I get... is when I wear my kilt, then I have the choice of thigh (need to be VERY careful 😉😱) or stomach, of which there is plenty of real estate to choose from!

Sometimes when out I find using a syringe is easier, due to their being much smaller than a pen, I'd preload a couple and use them, if you start drawing insulin from a vial at the table it's not good form. But if you're discrete about injecting you have no need to keep popping off to the toilet.

While not good practice generally and depending on the colour of your dress, for a couple of injections you could inject through your dress - reason for colour is the presently unamed law which states the size of any unplanned spot of blood is inversely proportional to the length of time since you put the clean item of clothing on and to the ability of the colour to absorb and hide that lovely red spot.

Also, it isn't mandatory that you have the dessert and don't forget the cheese and biscuits, plus the inkofrol (booze) hic! But, it's Chistmas, so let your hair down and enjoy!

Last edited:
I would just inject through your dress discretely at the table. I know we are not meant to do this, but I do it in the work canteen almost every day and have not had any problems.

Thigh under table or top of arm would be my choice. If you wear a scarf/pashmina type thing you can always use that to 'drape' over where you're injecting to cover up a bit if you're uncomfortable?

Personally on nights out, i dont like injecting though my clothes as its sods law that it would bleed - by "hitching up" under the table and using your thigh you can make sure all is ok before dropping the material again.

Just my choice and i guess depends on what dress youre wearing, hitching a ball gown might not be quite so subtle :D

thanks a lot for all the replies .. i've never injected my thigh so i might have to miss that one.. as not sure where abouts to do it and what my levels would do.. but maybe thinking of injecting thru my dress as its a silk material.. or just be in the corner of the table and try and lift it up to inject my stomach without any one seeing hopefully lol .. better wear nice knickers lol😱

I would use my thigh or arm. Depending on the dress I might inject through it, I last wore a dress a year ago at my mums wedding, trying to remember what I did, but was very drunk by the meal so can't remember!

Hope you enjoy your party!

thanks a lot for all the replies .. i've never injected my thigh so i might have to miss that one.. as not sure where abouts to do it and what my levels would do.. but maybe thinking of injecting thru my dress as its a silk material.. or just be in the corner of the table and try and lift it up to inject my stomach without any one seeing hopefully lol .. better wear nice knickers lol😱

Hmmm silk might be a tad tricky if you do get a spot of blood. Injecting in the thigh is generally done in the inner or outer thigh depending where there is more fat.

As for levels, I'd suggest calculating as you would for any other meal, if it's traditional christmas food then you're mainly concerned about potatoes, stuffing etc as the meat and veg contain no carbs we need to worry about.

When it comes to dessert then you're on your own 😉 You need to look at how much carb there is in a mini-christmas pudding at the supermarket, then are you into brandy sauce or cream (the latter has no carbs).

Starters are often easier, perhaps bread, often not too heavy carb wise. Except some dips etc.

I would suggest you have some snacks with you, unless you don't drink as alcohol can be more of a problem than the food. I always have difficulty counting, usually after the 8th or is it the 9th?? :D

In addition it's recommended you eat something before you go out - if the meal is delayed for whatever reason you're not going to hit the floor while waiting. If there is a delay, ask a member of staff if they can provide you with some bread as you're diabetic.

And finally, I hope you are wearing nice knickers! 😛

I'd have one estimated insulin shot, into abdomen or thigh, but not through clothing as it's bound to bleed, for starter and main course, then an extra shot after pudding. But, I wouldn't wear a dress if I could avoid it. My smart trouser suit & blouse, last worn to a Buckingham Palace investiture in summer 2008, will get a couple of outings for work Christmas dinners this season. Plus, it's easier for cycling than a dress, and I'll cycle after a couple of drinks, but wouldn't drive. No risk of anyone seeing my knickers, either. Hope you enjoy the meal.

I'd have one estimated insulin shot, into abdomen or thigh, but not through clothing as it's bound to bleed, for starter and main course, then an extra shot after pudding. But, I wouldn't wear a dress if I could avoid it. My smart trouser suit & blouse, last worn to a Buckingham Palace investiture in summer 2008, will get a couple of outings for work Christmas dinners this season. Plus, it's easier for cycling than a dress, and I'll cycle after a couple of drinks, but wouldn't drive. No risk of anyone seeing my knickers, either. Hope you enjoy the meal.

I've decided will go with injecting for starters and main - well estimate it.. then put the rest in after pudding.. xx thanks guys and girls xx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back