Injection Stes...Sore Tummy :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ellowyne

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi all, I hope everyon is ok 🙂

Just a quick question really. When I was initiated on Insulin in January, my DSN said that I must inject anywhere just below and along the underneath of my belly button area.

At the time I was on 1 injection aday, Levimer. Now, I take 3injections a day, 2 Novorapid and 1 Levimer. It's been a few weeks now and, the area that my DSN said to inject is becoming sore and the injections are sometimes painful now. When I told her this she said that she needed tp 'Teach' me where to inject the 'Novorapid' in my upper thigh area.

The thing is, I'm not seeing her until the end of May and I don't think I can find any new parts of my lower tummy to inject!....So, my question is, do I really need to be 'Taught' to inject in my upper thigh?...Also, does 'Where' you inject affect the insulin at all?....

At the moment I inject Novo on my Left and Levimer on my right side of my tummy...DSN said to do it that way.

Any thoughts please?....Ellowyne xXx

Hi Ellowyne,

You dont need to be 'taught' to inject in another site - its just the same as your tummy. I would say inject the levemir in the thighs as it isnt quick acting and inject novorapid in the tummy. I am not sure why you cant inject above the belly button? If you have enough flesh to inject into that should be fine to inject novorapid above the belly button. You can also use your arms if your running out of places to inject.🙂Bev

I wouldn't have thought you needed teaching, perhaps you could ring her back and clarify or get some instruction over the phone?

I inject all over, the tummy, thighs, "love handles" area and buttocks. I tend to find the tummy and hips make the insulin absorb quicker, so I use them for my novorapid and the thighs and buttocks for the levemir.

The only thing I find with my thighs is they tend to bleed more, but the injections hurt less, so it's trade off!

Hope you find something that works for you!

I find that the love handles are a useful place to inject but I may have a lot to work with there right enough 😉 lol

i've been injecting since i was diagnosed in febuary. i tend to use my stomach as i have nice bit of padding there. for the first few weeks it was itching like mad, thats stopped now but sometimes it is a bit sore. unfortunately i find needles are always going to come with the side effect of slight pain and discomfort😱

Just a quick question really. When I was initiated on Insulin in January, my DSN said that I must inject anywhere just below and along the underneath of my belly button area.

At the time I was on 1 injection aday, Levimer. Now, I take 3injections a day, 2 Novorapid and 1 Levimer. It's been a few weeks now and, the area that my DSN said to inject is becoming sore and the injections are sometimes painful now. When I told her this she said that she needed tp 'Teach' me where to inject the 'Novorapid' in my upper thigh area.

The thing is, I'm not seeing her until the end of May and I don't think I can find any new parts of my lower tummy to inject!....So, my question is, do I really need to be 'Taught' to inject in my upper thigh?...Also, does 'Where' you inject affect the insulin at all?....

At the moment I inject Novo on my Left and Levimer on my right side of my tummy...DSN said to do it that way.

What length needles do you use? You may find changing to a shorter one is less painful.

I was given the little 5mm ones cos I am needle phobic and I very rarely feel an injection.

Remember where you've been already today and avoid that spot next time...

I inject in the area above my belly button and in the area you inject, I have no problems and occasionally inject my thigh.

I use the top of my hips sometimes to give my tummy a rest. What I will say is that it does get better with time. When I was first diagnosed and injecting in my tummy I got a lot of bruising, now I don't.

Thank you everyone!...Yes, I do get quite a bit of bruising, but I will use a diffrent part of my tummy now I know it's ok to!!...I have plenty of padding all over, lol!....🙂

Thank you!....Ellowyne x

I inject in my lower stomach & thighs and also in my the top of my arms. The only reason you tend to be told to inject into your stomach is there is more fat to supposedly stop it hurting so much & if you inject into your stomach it increases the rate it is absorbs and how quickly it works x

When i first started injecting i did inject in stomach, but it got so bruised and hurt so much i had to stop injecting there, i should start again though as loubie said if u want the insulin to kick in quicker the stomach is the best place

I was recommended to do my long acting in my thigh or backside, because you don't need that to kick in quickly. I don't really see why your DSN should have to teach you how to inject in your thigh - I taught myself how to inject in my stomach and there was never an issue. As long as you know where in your thigh is a good place to inject, the technique is exactly the same. 🙂

Google injection sites and you'll get lots of images. probably on novo's website aswell, so you can see which parts of the arms/thighs you can inject in.

I go through phases of where I prefer to inject, at the moment I'm liking my stomach again, but when for some months where i avoided it completley.

Hi Ellowyne I also have NovoRapid which i take 3 times a day and Insulatard at night. The area's i use are, my upper arms, my tummy, my thighs and Insulatard in my bottom at night, I have been injecting for 21 yrs, the insulin acts more quickly when it is injected in your tummy. I was told by my nurse ( a few years ago) it takes 10mins to act from your tummy,20mins from arms, and 30 mins from thighs and bottom. Hope some of it has been helpful. Take care sheena

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back