Injection sites

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gillsb

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
Would love some suggestions from anyone regarding injection sites. My daughter has been type 1 for 3 1/2 years and is injects her rapid in her stomach and levemir in her legs. She has quite a good system going on her legs to ensure she is not using the same place all the time but I am a bit concerned that she is using the same small area in her tummy for most of her fast acting injections.

Does anyone have a system that is easy to remember to alternate the sites that I could suggest to her?

Thanks all.🙂

yh id like to know about that too 🙂

What about doing some of the injections into buttocks? That would give another option. Is she using all the way around her abdomen? I don't really remember where I do my injections each time and probably overuse some places.

She is not keen to use anwhere except her tummy at the moment. It really needs a way of her remembering where she has injected for each meal or day so as not to overuse the same spot. At the moment she seems to have small areas that she uses all the time and I worry this will cause problems long term.

Well I have been told two different methods from my DNS nurses, although they don't seem to work very well for me.

One is to rotate clockwise (or anticlockwise) around the belly button, making bigger and bigger circles. So you do injections in a circle around the belly button, and once that's done, you start injecting on a larger circle and so on...

The other one is to start from the belly button and inject in a particular direction for each daily injection. For example do breakfast injections below the button, lunch to the left and dinner injections to the right of the belly button, always moving away from the belly button.
I hope that was clear, I am not very good at descriptions...

The reasons these methods don't work for me is that I tend not to pay attention, especially when I am in work. Plus some areas of my tummy are particularly painful at times, so I cannot always follow a specific directions.
What I actually do is to inject close to my belly button at the start of the month, and to move away from it until the next month.

when i was injecting i did tend to favour one spot on my legs they got seriously over used so i stuck plasters on the over used bits to remind me not to inject there , u could try sticking a plaster to the bit on her tummy she over uses it also makes u think about where your injecting

Hi

I do left buttock at breakfast, left side of navel at lunch, right side at dinner time, right buttock at night. maybe substitute leg for buttck if she's not keen?

I vary the locations (higher or lower) but yeah its hard to remember sometimes.
Best wishes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back