Injection sites

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charl

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Usually use my thighs for my basel injection and stomach area for bolus, would it be ok to inject basel into stomach area , thighs are aching, unsure as to whether im injecting to deep or something.Thanks

I don’t see why not. I only inject in my stomach area, both basal and bolus. I believe insulin is absorbed faster from the stomach area than thighs, but as basal is long acting I don’t see it being a problem.

What size needles do you use? I use 4mm and this doesn’t go too deep at all and works ok for me with regard to absorption rates.

Yes you certainly can, but you risk overusing your tummy in doing so, unless it is just short term. I use my buttocks mostly for basal, but I find the tops of my thighs just below my knicker line a really good site too and much less sensitive than mid thigh.
What length needles are you using?
Are you talking about muscular ache or is the insulin stinging or are they just getting sore from jabbing them?

Before switching to a pump, I only ever injected into my abdomen. My thighs are too muscly and it hurts when I tried.
I used this area for 12years without any "over use" issues and still place my pump there with no problems.
Yes, there is a risk but as long as you don't inject into exactly the same spot, the risk is low.

Insulin absorbs at different rates in different body areas with bum being the slowest, then thighs and stomach being fastest so most people inject basal into the slower areas as it helps keep the absorption rate stable but there’s no hard and fast rules. If your thighs are getting sore is it a reaction to that insulin or the needles rather than where it’s being injected? Thighs have a big enough area to inject daily into them without overworking the area if you’re thoughtful about rotating sites.

Yes you certainly can, but you risk overusing your tummy in doing so, unless it is just short term. I use my buttocks mostly for basal, but I find the tops of my thighs just below my knicker line a really good site too and much less sensitive than mid thigh.
What length needles are you using?
Are you talking about muscular ache or is the insulin stinging or are they just getting sore from jabbing them?
More of a muscular ache, not been doing anything different so put it down to the insulin injections.

More of a muscular ache, not been doing anything different so put it down to the insulin injections.
I would say it's probably quite unlikely to be the insulin then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back